4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2003 2:10 PM by jonlee

out.txt on linux

bigbinc

Is there any reason my out.txt in the $JBOSS_HOME/bin/ isnt there? Under windows, I have it, maybe written to a log or something.

• 1. Re: out.txt on linux
          jonlee

This might be a naive question, but what is "out.txt" supposed to contain?

By default JBoss generates any activity logs into JBOSS_HOME/server/default/log. You might redirect and pipe out the results of the console by modifying the run.sh script.

• 2. Re: out.txt on linux
            bigbinc

Got it, I am using the java service for windows (javaservice-bin-1.2.0) that creates a service out of java applications(jboss). One of the args for java is to output its invokation ie out.txt. I thought this was a jboss thing.

JavaService.exe -install JBoss32 C:\jdk1.3.1_06\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll -Djava.class.path=C:\jdk1.3.1_06\lib\tools.jar;C:\Berlin\JBOSS\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\bin\run.jar -start org.jboss.Main -stop org.jboss.Main -method systemExit -out C:\Berlin\JBOSS\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\bin\out.txt -current C:\Berlin\JBOSS\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\jboss-3.2.1_tomcat-4.1.24\bin

• 3. Re: out.txt on linux
              bigbinc

Funny thing, I was trying see what my jboss linux system booted in,
              50ms running at a meager 600mhz. We are using a 2cpu2.0g XEON windows machine that boots in a 1:30. It is probably a configuration thing, but still.

and a single 1.7 gz windows machine in 1:50

• 4. Re: out.txt on linux
                jonlee

50 ms sounds pretty fast. Even my Linux 1.2 GHz Pentium III starts JBoss in 50 s. The start up times can be deceptive because it also depends on the number of services in JBoss (including deployment of J2EE components).

However, the JVMs do tend to run faster in Linux - which may be a reflection of the bloatware in Windows chewing CPU cycles. YMMV. I also remember someone posting something about Windows and multi-processors - something about there being some configuration that nobbled performance for the JVM. Unfortunately, I cannot recall what that was or whether I am properly recollecting the post.