3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2004 5:52 AM by tomerbd

Updating web.xml without directly accessing it

Hi

I'm deploying a web application

I wonder whether there is a way to update web.xml without directly accessing it. That means something like an java interface to update it? JMX? or any other way?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Updating web.xml without directly accessing it
          severityone

I don't think you can do this, but why would you want to do it in the first place? it comes dangerously close to self-mnodifying code.

- Peter

• 2. Re: Updating web.xml without directly accessing it
            darranl

The reason for this is likely to be due to the seperation of roles as identified by Sun.

The component provider may have provided the web application packaged into a war file.

The deployer may then want to make configuration changes before deployment of the application.

Some other application server vendors provide tools that allow the deployment descriptors to be edited without having to manually unpack the archive.

• 3. Re: Updating web.xml without directly accessing it

Yes, My mean and reasons are certainly with compliance to the notion of separation of roles. I would further want a deployer to automate his tasks, and preferably using java code.

Anyway as a software developer, I want my daily build process to be fully automatic, And to generate edit my web.xml's and any other files automatically, and I'm searching for some standard for that, I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel; Unless that wheel wasn't invented yet.