6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2006 5:16 PM by J.Thomas

first time install - the wall

J.Thomas Newbie

All - Sorry to submit my first install attempt as a forum question but I'm stuck. Below is the output from running the run.bat from within Windows (XP Prof) or the command line. I appears to be finding the JDK, JAVA_HOME is set... what does it want? "Press any key to continue . . ." simply closes the window. Thanks.
      jt

===============================================================================
      JBoss Bootstrap Environment
      JBOSS_HOME: C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\\..
      JAVA: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\bin\java
      JAVA_OPTS: -Dprogram.name=run.bat -Xms128m -Xmx512m
      CLASSPATH: C:\j2sdk1.4.2_11\lib\tools.jar;C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\\run.jar
      ===============================================================================
      Failed to boot JBoss:
      java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl
      at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:199)
      at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerLoader.createServer(ServerLoader.java:2
      67)
      at org.jboss.system.server.ServerLoader.load(ServerLoader.java:249)
      at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:179)
      at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:438)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
      Press any key to continue . . .

• 1. Re: first time install - the wall
          Peter Johnson Master

Looks like something went amiss during installation. How did you install? Via the installer jar file or unzip the zip file?

The missing class is in C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\lib\jboss-system.jar. There should be 12 jar files in the C:\jboss-4.0.3SP1\lib directory.

Perhaps a re-install will correct this.

• 2. Re: first time install - the wall
            J.Thomas Newbie

Hi Peter - The zip file (jboss-4.0.3SP1.zip), which I think they need to redo. I don't see any files at all in the \lib directory, much less the jboss-system.jar (anywhere). Below is the extract list:

Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\classpath.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\deployer.bat
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\deployer.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\jboss_init_redhat.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\jboss_init_suse.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\run.bat
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\run.conf
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\run.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\run.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\shutdown.bat
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\shutdown.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\shutdown.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\twiddle.bat
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\twiddle.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\bin\twiddle.sh
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\activation.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\auth.conf
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\avalon-framework.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\axis-ws4ee.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\commons-discovery.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\commons-logging.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\concurrent.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\getopt.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\jacorb.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\javax.servlet.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\jboss-aop-jdk50-client.jar
            Extract: C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\jboss-client.jar
            Error : C:\jtall\apps\jboss\jboss-4.0.3SP1\jboss-4.0.3SP1\client\jboss-common-client.jar file has been corrupted.

• 3. Re: first time install - the wall
              Peter Johnson Master

I think your download failed. Try downloading again, and verify using either the md5 or sha-256 checksums.

• 4. Re: first time install - the wall
                J.Thomas Newbie

Pete - you were right. Don't know how that happened. I think it's started, here are the last lines of the output:

13:33:20,741 INFO [ChannelSocket] JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
                13:33:20,756 INFO [JkMain] Jk running ID=0 time=0/46 config=null
                13:33:20,772 INFO [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.0.3SP1 (build: CVSTag=JBos
                s_4_0_3_SP1 date=200510231054)] Started in 25s:110ms

One more question, as a greenhorn, while I have you on the line. Can you explain to me what the difference is between JBoss app server and something like Tomcat? I understand the concept of a web container, but it appears that JBoss incorporates Tomcat. Isn't JBoss a web container on its own? And where's the GUI administrator now that this thing is started?! thanks much,
                jt

• 5. Re: first time install - the wall
                  Peter Johnson Master

The simple answer is that Tomcat is a servlet container (you can deploy war files) while JBoss is a full J2EE server (you can deploy ear files, including EJBs). So JBoss provides a superset of the functionality that is available in Tomcat.

JBoss adminsitration is done by editing XML files. Application deployment is a simple as copying your war/ear/whatever file to the server/default/deploy directory.

A good place to get started is reading the Getting Started and Application Server guides (on the documentation page): http://labs.jboss.com/portal/jbossas/docs

• 6. Re: first time install - the wall
                    J.Thomas Newbie

Thanks Pete. I will start there.