2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2006 2:20 AM by smokingapipe

Why is MyFaces included in JBoss 4.0.4?  It does not actuall

smokingapipe

It looks like there is no way to get JSF workin with the built-in MyFaces implementation in JBoss 4.0.4. Any ideas why the jar file is there? No matter what I do with it, I get:

19:21:41,261 ERROR [UIComponentTag] Faces context not found. getResponseWriter will fail. Check if the FacesServlet has been initialized at all in your web.xml.
      19:21:41,263 ERROR [[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.setupResponseWriter(UIComponentTag.java:615)
      at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doStartTag(UIComponentTag.java:217)
      at org.apache.myfaces.taglib.core.ViewTag.doStartTag(ViewTag.java:71)

Or is it possible to use the built-in implementation for JSF?

Right now it looks like if I want to use JSF with JBoss I need to remove the packaged MyFaces jars, right?

• 1. Re: Why is MyFaces included in JBoss 4.0.4?  It does not act
          smokingapipe

Actually a follow-up question: Is JSF compatible with JBoss at all? I'm trying to get the RI to work with it and there doesn't seem to be a way. I see documentation about using JSF and JBoss but is it possible in the real world?

• 2. Re: Why is MyFaces included in JBoss 4.0.4?  It does not act
            smokingapipe

Ha! I did get it to work. Like so many other things in the Java web world, there are a whole bunch of ways to go wrong, and it's not clear what the mistakes are.

So now it looks like I have my JSF application running using the built-in MyFaces implementation. Is this a good way to go? It's JSF 1.1. Do I want that, or are there big advantages to trying to get the RI working, so I can use 1.2?

I guess my next step now is to get the JSF components to work with some EJBs which are persisted by JBoss. If I can have all that going, it will be a huge leap from other older methods of developing webapps. No more messing around with forms.