3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2008 11:38 AM by peterj

JBOSS portal interaction with MYSQL

rajesh_css

Hi,
      1) I created a new database in MYSQL
      2) I configured the portal-mysql5-ds.xml

<local-tx-datasource>
      <jndi-name>PortalDS</jndi-name>
      <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/jbossportal?useServerPrepStmts=false&amp;jdbcCompliantTruncation=false</connection-url>
      <driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
      <user-name>jbossportal</user-name>
      jbossportal
      </local-tx-datasource>

3) After starting the server tables are created in jbossportal database

4) can any one explain me where this is configured.

5) If we are making changes in the portal like changing themes ,layouts or any other changes where does this changes go and store.

6) Whenever i am changing to new database i cant see the changes which i made previously,i need to make changes again how can i restrict it?

7) Where the portal names are getting stored?

Thanks in Advance

RAJ

• 1. Re: JBOSS portal interaction with MYSQL
          peterj

4) Most of the data for the database comes from the portlet.xml, portlet-instances.xml and *-object.xml files scattered throughout jboss-portal.sar. Other parts of the data are scattered here and there, many in Hibernate initialization files. (Yes, the Portal uses Hibernate)

5) Themes and layouts (I assume you mean css files) remain on disk. Other changes, such as adding pages or adding portlets to pages are stored in the database.

6) Two possibilities. For MySQL, you can run a dump to extract the whole database and then load the new database with that dump. The second possibility is that you only ever change the *.xml files I mentioned in #4 to configure your portal. I recommend this approach if you are developing a portal at one location and will deploy it to production elsewhere. See my JBossWorld presentation at http://jbossworld.com/downloads/presentations/ (scroll down to Friday) I also have some more detailed information regarding this, but it is not free - if you like I can post the URL.

7) In the database. You can also define them in *-object.xml (see conf/data/default-object.xml for examples).

• 2. Re: JBOSS portal interaction with MYSQL
            rajesh_css

Thanks PeterJ , can i get the link which i can go through

• 3. Re: JBOSS portal interaction with MYSQL
              peterj

The book JBoss in Action (which will be published as soon as JBossAS 5 is available, which should be Real Soon Now, I hope), has two chapters on JBoss Portal: http://www.manning.com/jamae