4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 9:11 AM by mark spencer

jBPM + WebServices + EJB 3.0

Claudio Di Ciccio Newbie

Hi all!

I've been searching for days for a good solution to my problem: due to university work, I have to find something able to describe the behaviour of a web-application (server-side) as a graph (state-transitions network), in XML, then translate it as a real application able to make its status evolve through calls to multiple methods, as a WebService. The WebService must be encoded using EJB 3.0 (that is, a Stateless Session Bean, linked somehow to the conversational logic - stateful, of course).

This seems to be something that's covered by Seam 2.0. Is it correct?
      I've read its documentation, explored the examples, but, before going on, I would like to be sure I'm on the right way.

Could someone suggest me some useful links to documents / articles / anything about the solution to my question?

Thank you very very much, in advance.
      --
      Claudio Di Ciccio

• 1. Re: jBPM + WebServices + EJB 3.0
          mark spencer Newbie

Well if I understand your requirements, you should encode your graph based application in XML. JBPM seems to fit perfectly. The Web service can expose your jbpm command service as a web service. Moreover jBPM supports natively the ESB so you can orchestrate Services simply using jBPM Nodes
          (see
          http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/JBoss_SOA_Platform/4.2.2/html/SOA_ESB_JBPM_Integration_Guide/index.html)

The webservice encoded using ejb 3.0 what do you mean ? using annotations @Webservice ?
          if I understand your requirement for this you don't need Seam to use them. Anyway Seam helps a lot if you have EJB in your application, you'll save a lot of time wasted in writing useless Java Bean code. (just to mention one)

P.s. Besides the official docs, there's one article in my blog which is a good starting point for jbpm.

• 2. Re: jBPM + WebServices + EJB 3.0
            Claudio Di Ciccio Newbie

Thank you very very VERY much Francesco!
            I'll carefully read your article, and the documentation.

The webservice encoded using ejb 3.0 what do you mean ? using annotations @Webservice ?

About "using EJB 3", yes, I meant "@WebService" annotations over Session Beans, and so on. Actually, there's no need to include Entity Beans or Message Beans at the moment.
            if I understand your requirement for this you don't need Seam to use them. Anyway Seam helps a lot if you have EJB in your application, you'll save a lot of time wasted in writing useless Java Bean code. (just to mention one)

Do you mean annotations like @NotNull? If so, yes, I've seen it in the examples, it's a very nice feature, but, you're right, I'm not focusing on them, now.

Thank you very much, once more!

• 3. Re: jBPM + WebServices + EJB 3.0
              Claudio Di Ciccio Newbie

Hi Francesco (and who reads here)!

I searched and read and searched again, after reading your very useful links, and my problem remained the same: WebService in EJB 3.0 must be deployed over StateLESS Session Beans, then there is no way to mantain the state of the current process running - apart from explicitly pass it through the methods' parameters.

For example, if I want the user to select a product

@WebMethod public void selectProduct(Product p)
              before adding it to cart
              @WebMethod addToCart(Product p)
              , this rule is easily expressible on a process. But how may I connect the transition of the process instance to the WS calls?

Then, it seems that Seam works best (with conversation ids and so on), to my purpose - more than the jBPM / jPDL suite for JBossAS.

Am I wrong? If so, tell me (any link with examples or whatever should be very appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

• 4. Re: jBPM + WebServices + EJB 3.0
                mark spencer Newbie

Hello,
                well as far as I know there's an API called JAX-WS that' about
                stateful Web Services
                https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/nonav/2.1/docs/statefulWebservice.html

Anyway if you check the WS Stack
                http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=JBossWSGenerellStackComparison

that's available only on a few WSStack....even if it's mentioned Native JBossWS is able to handle Stateful WS.
                Not having too much experience on this I honestly cannot tell you more....
                regards