6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 3:04 PM by cwolters

Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2 "Socket bind failed:  In

cheema

Hi,
      I've just started out with jboss. I'm using jboss on Fedora 9, jdk1.6. Apparently the jboss doesn't boot up properly after running "run.sh".
      The server.log shows up the following error message:

2008-09-28 20:58:02,415 ERROR [org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol] (main) Error starting endpoint
      java.lang.Exception: Socket bind failed: [22] Invalid argument
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.init(AprEndpoint.java:609)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.start(AprEndpoint.java:693)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol.start(Http11AprProtocol.java:137)
      at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1102)
      at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.deployers.TomcatService.startConnectors(TomcatService.java:354)
      at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.deployers.TomcatService.handleNotification(TomcatService.java:391)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2
          peterj

Which CR2 package did you download? jboss-5.0.0.CR2.zip or jboss-5.0.0.CR2-jdk6.zip? Since you are using jdk 1.6 you need to download jboss-5.0.0.CR2-jdk6.zip.

If that does not resolve the issue, what are the contents of your /etc/hosts file?

Have you deployed any apps? Are you starting the 'all' or 'default' configuration? Are you running as root or as a user?

The "Socket bind failed" error usually indicated a port conflict. But this is the first time I can recall seeing the "Invalid argument" detail message (it is usually reads "Address already in use"). In those cases this might help: http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/DebugBindException

Or see http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4121889

• 2. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2
            cheema

I did some search on google and probably the reason for this "invalid argument" error was the ipv6 service is enabled on fedora9. But after disabling ipv6, I'm stuck with a different error "Address family not supported". I'm using jboss-5.0.0.CR2-jdk6.zip so thats probably not the issue.

Here is the log:

22:51:47,548 ERROR [Http11AprProtocol] Error starting endpoint
            org.apache.tomcat.jni.Error: Address family not supported by protocol
            at org.apache.tomcat.jni.Socket.create(Native Method)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.init(AprEndpoint.java:599)
            at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.start(AprEndpoint.java:693)
            at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol.start(Http11AprProtocol.java:137)
            at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1102)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.deployers.TomcatService.startConnectors(TomcatService.java:354)
            at org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.deployers.TomcatService.handleNotification(TomcatService.java:391)
            at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor72.invoke(Unknown Source)
            at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
            at org.jboss.mx.notification.NotificationListenerProxy.invoke(NotificationListenerProxy.java:153)

• 3. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2
              peterj

You should double-check that your /etc/hosts file does not have any IPv6 addresses.

• 4. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2
                peterj

I just now checked my 32-bit Kubuntu 8.04 system - it has IPv6 installed and IPv6 addresses have been assigned. I can run CR2 with JDK 6 just fine. I haven't checked my 64-bit Kubuntu system as regards to IPv6, but I know I have run CR2 with JDK 6 successfully there also. Ditto for my Fedora 8 system at work.

By the way, there is a JVM command line option to prefer the use of IPv4, and it is already set in conf.sh.

• 5. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.GA
                  cwolters

Hi.

I get the same problem with Jboss 5.0.0.GA/debian/sun-java-jdk-1.6.0_10

20:34:04,497 ERROR [Http11AprProtocol] Error initializing endpoint
                  org.apache.tomcat.jni.Error: Address family not supported by protocol
                   at org.apache.tomcat.jni.Socket.create(Native Method)
                   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint.init(AprEndpoint.java:600)

I already removed all IPv6 adresses vom /etc/hosts and disabled IPv6 in the kernel. The Jboss run.sh script already adds the "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true".

What else can I try to get rid of this startup error? Anybody out there already solved this problem?

• 6. Re: Error while running jboss-5.0.0.CR2
                    cwolters

I got the solution...

I had to remove the libtcnative-1 package from my linux installation - used by previous Jboss versions.