7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 1:28 PM by raconteur

Cannot even get started... :(

raconteur

Hi all,

I am running eclipse 3.4.1 and am trying to integrate JBoss. I have searched high and low, and cannot seem to get it to work.

Here is the scoop. At http://docs.jboss.org/jbosside/tutorial/build/en/html/the.project.html there is a tutorial, in which it begins with making a new JBoss IDE project (top of Chapter 3). I am not seeing those options in my Project wizard.

I have found references to the following update sites, which I have integrated and downloaded from, but none provide the IDE stuff for the Project wizard:
      download.jboss.org/jbosside/updates/stable
      download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/development
      download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/stable
      jboss.sourceforge.net/jbosside/updates (this one doesn't work at all)

I have also tried downloading both the Bundle and the All plugins from:
      http://www.jboss.org/jbosside/download/index.html to no avail.

My last attempt, which I was sure was going to work was downloading JBossIDE-2.0.0.Beta2-ALL.zip (I don't remember where from though, somewhere on the jboss.com website). I copied all of the stuff into the features and plugins directory, restarted eclipse, and STILL no option to create JBoss IDE projects.

So, I am either being incredibly obtuse, or incredible dumb. The latter is more likely. :)

Can someone tell me how to do this, or show me to a page that describes how to do it (I wish ALL eclipse add-on companies would prominently display their update URL, as I spend more time trying to find them than I do using the software, but that is another post altogether), or tell me that I am going about it all wrong and things have changed as of vX.X, which is what I am beginning to suspect.

Thanks a million! Spent the better part of the weekend rebuilding my eclipse J2EE environment with Struts, Spring, Lucene, AspectJ, and am hoping to bring JBoss in for all what appear to be the wonderful features it provides.

Cheers,

Chris

• 1. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
          raconteur

Do things work per the installation doc and tutorial for everyone else? Or did something change as of the latest verision that obviates them?

• 2. Re: Cannot even get started... :(

try easyeclipse (http://www.easyeclipse.org). It's a free version of Eclipse with lots of plugins already installed. I understand your frustration, it's not trivial to install all the required plugins for eclipse because you must match the exact versions......
            if you're willing to spend some money consider Red Hat Developer Studio which is a ready-to-cook JBoss Eclispe...
            hope it helps

• 3. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
              peterj

Start with Eclipse for Java EE 3.3, add in JBoss Tools 2.1.2 (http://www.jboss.org/tools/download/index.html). I know this combination works, I have tried it. Tools 2.1.2 does not work with Eclipse 3.4, at least not for me - I get an exception in the Server view.

To register your server, go to Windows | Preferences | Server | Installed Runtimes, click the Add button and in the New Server Runtime dialog expand the "JBoss, a division of RedHat" entry and choose JBoss 4.2 Runtime. Fill in the resulting dialog.

Then go to File | New | Other and select Server under the Server entry. Fill in the new Server dialog, referencing the runtime you created above.

You should now have a Server view showing in the bottom left corner of the Eclipse window. There are Menu options and button to start/stop the server. There are also configuration options to indicate which of your projects need to be deployed to the app server.

I hope this helps.

• 4. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
                wolfgangknauf

Hi Chris,

you don't actually need JBossIDE for working with Eclipse. Just download Eclipse 3.4 + WebToolsPlatform 3.0 plugin, and you have basic JBoss support (start/stop server, publish, create EJB projects, ...). For JBoss specific deployment descriptors there is no wizard, but for beginning with jboss this should be enough.

Best regards

Wolfgang

• 5. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
                  raconteur

Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I guess the big thing I was looking at was trying to do the tutorial, but not even being able to begin because I cannot get JBoss IDE projects to appear in my Project Wizard.

I was able to add the JBAS per PeterJ's instructions. And from all of the downloads and updates I mentioned, I have:
                  JBoss Cache
                  JBoss jBPM
                  JBoss Rules
                  JBoss Seam
                  JBoss Tools
                  JBoss Tools Web
                  JBossAOP
                  in the wizard.

So my question now is, where do I look for some guidance on getting started with this stuff? I just need some sort of tutorial on setting up and building a simple app that leverages JBoss. Much of this stuff I usually build from scratch on projects, but if there is a slicker way, then I am all for it!

Can anyone point me to a good source?

Cheers,

Chris

• 6. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
                    peterj

I think you are looking ta the JBossIDE docs, which are for older versions. Try starting at http://docs.jboss.org/tools/2.1.0.GA/ and see if that works better.

• 7. Re: Cannot even get started... :(
                      raconteur

BRILLIANT, Peter! That is just what I needed.

Thank you, VERY much!

C