2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2009 9:54 PM by matthewtap

Question regarding using shutdown with -e

matthewtap

I'm too new with JBoss to just be able to do both commands and be sure of what I'm seeing, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this question.

In using the shutdown.bat command to shutdown JBoss, there's the option of:
      > shutdown -S
      in order to shutdown the server [which I assume has the same effect as using ctrl +C in the JBoss command window].

but there is also:
      > shutdown -e
      which has the description stating it will "Force the VM to exit with a status code."

I was hoping I could get some insight as to what exactly this means/how it differs (aside from the status code) from shutting down the server...

... as in, does this mean the JVM will shutdown but somehow JBoss stays up? Or is it that JBoss shuts down because the JVM exits from supporting JBoss?

I greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can give.
      Thanks.

• 1. Re: Question regarding using shutdown with -e
          peterj

The -e and -S options basically do the same things - cause the app server to terminate. When an app terminates, it can supply a 'status code' to the operating system. Such a status code is usually using within a script, where the script examines the status code and from there decides what to do next. So by terminating with -e, you can supply such a code (with -S, the default status code of 0 is used.)

The '-e' options becomes interesting only if you provide a script that does something with the return value. The default run scripts check for a status code of 10, in which case they restart the app server.

• 2. Re: Question regarding using shutdown with -e
            matthewtap

Thanks!