Probably the first thing to do is get a version of JG 2.3 integrated into the JBoss repository for HEAD. This can probably be a snapshot if Bela has no plans for a beta before you want to get going. Suggest you coordinate with Bela as to what jgroups.jar to use. Suggesting contacting Ruel Loehr to figure out how to integrate a snapshot into the repository and the HEAD build. The build part is controlled via the build/build-thirdparty.xml file; I believe there are some other artifacts in there that are using a snapshot.
For the 5.x series, for ClusterPartition I see no reason to support anything other than getting the channel from a separate JChannelFactory -- i.e. no support for the old style of creating your own channel from the JGroups properties.
For 4.0.5 and later 4.0.x releases, we would want to support the old style for ClusterPartition, since backward compatibility issues mean the old style will be the default.
JBossCache is a separate issue.
Yes, I think if the 2 attributes are defined, that would override creation of a separate channel, and you would always use the Multiplexer.
I intend to release 2.3 beta this or next week, it is functionally complete and the testsuite has been passing for quite some time (weeks) at 100% now...
Maybe we do this first on JBoss 5, so we can see whether we have all of our tracks covered
Definitely JBoss 5 first. Thanks for clarifying that; I mention 4.0.x as a design detail, but not as a work priority. My attitude toward 4.0.x is we should largely be in bug fix mode until we have 5.0.0 well in hand. Only port new features back if it's a simple copy-paste type thing of largely identical code or you can't find other 5.0 work to do. Otherwise raise a JIRA to port it later and go attack another 5.0 issue.
Bela - shall I add JGroups 2.3 beta to JBossAS 5 or will you do this? If you want me to do it, is it jgroups-all.jar that's incorporated as jgroups.jar? I have the jgroups-core beta jar that you included in the Multiplexer sar but I don't have the jgroups-all beta distribution. SourceForge hasn't been updated yet to include the beta code.
If we're not ready to update JBossAS 5 yet, I can work locally with the beta jar.
We want to move to the 2.3 beta in AS HEAD; no reason to wait. Bela mentioned on the phone this morning there may be some issues re: following the JBoss version naming rules for the beta release (or something like that).
I'll leave it to you and Bela to sort out the details, but once you do please go ahead and convert HEAD to the 2.3 beta.
I'll add JGroups 2.3 beta to repository.jboss.com tomorrow (FRI), let's have a quick chat tomorrow (ping me on YIM) to discuss the details