4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2008 3:45 PM by cavani

JDBM Performance with Jboss Cache

lords_diakonos

I am wondering if anyone is using JBoss cache with LDBM as a cache loader?

I am running in a cluster but would like to avoid purchasing Sleepycat IF POSSIBLE.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: JDBM Performance with Jboss Cache
          genman

It's not bad. It's used for a lot of open source apps. But it lacks all of the transaction features of Sleepycat. I recommend you use it with ASYNC on if possible.

One thing I've seen is that JBoss Cache sort of has a goofy implementation of put() where all the data has to be loaded from the cache loader before it's replaced. So do a remove() then put() if possible.

• 2. Re: JDBM Performance with Jboss Cache
            cavani

I started with FileCacheLoader for local persistent cache. The storage on disk took more than 2h for less than 200MB. Then I changed to JDBMCacheLoader, and the storage time drop to 5min. The diference in storage terms is FileCacheLoader has one folder per root node and JDBM has one single file.

Last week I tried using JBC3 and H2 embedded database with JDBCCacheLoader and the storage get 13GB during the process! I don't know how (and spent more then 1h before I canceled the test).

I had others little problems with JDBM, but it has been the better option for my case (occasional full writing and many reads on a single server).

P.S.: my understanding is you can use DB Java Edition when your software is not distributed for thirdparties (or when it is opensource). But I didn't spend much time thinking about it.

my two cents...

Thanks,

• 3. Re: JDBM Performance with Jboss Cache
              genman

FileCacheLoader performance sucks for many small nodes. It works okay with big nodes.

• 4. Re: JDBM Performance with Jboss Cache
                cavani

"cavani" wrote:
                Last week I tried using JBC3 and H2 embedded database with JDBCCacheLoader and the storage get 13GB during the process! I don't know how (and spent more then 1h before I canceled the test).

My own second opinion in this matter:

http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4192267#4192267

After some improvements, JDBC CL and H2 seems much better.

Thanks,