4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2002 4:15 AM by gmatthews

Recovering from SQL Exception re: UserTransactions

gmatthews

Dear all,

How do you recover from a SQL Exception in JBoss?

Under Orion, I used to call UserTransaction.setRollbackOnly, and the db connection would then be ready for the next user request.

Under JBoss, the next user HTTP request that is received (that requires a db connection) causes an exception saying that the transaction has been marked for rollback.

I want the request that caused the SQL Error to put the db connection back into a usable state ready for the next request.

Additionally, where I detect a business logic error, what is the correct technique for rolling back any database changes already made.

Under Orion, I used to call UserTransaction.setRollbackOnly to do this.

Regards,
      Greg.

• 1. Re: Recovering from SQL Exception re: UserTransactions
          joelvogt

Well this will depend where your transactions are going.
          try

getSessionContext().setRollbackOnly();

• 2. Re: Recovering from SQL Exception re: UserTransactions
            gmatthews

What do you mean by "where your transactions are going?".

I'm using a UserTransaction from a servlet to demarcate transactions, i.e. with tx.begin() and tx.commit().

If a bug occurs relating to a SQL statement, then an exception is thrown and i'd like the db connection to be put back into a useable state, ready for the next request.

• 3. Re: Recovering from SQL Exception re: UserTransactions
              joelvogt

I meant where you are executing the transactions, in your case in a servlet. (My method above for example might be used in a Session Bean).
              Are you getting this db connection via jboss's connection pool or straight lookup?

• 4. Re: Recovering from SQL Exception re: UserTransactions
                gmatthews

I'm doing the following:

1. Obtain UserTransaction InitialContext.lookup("java:comp/UserTransaction"). This is called from a servlet.

2. call begin on UserTransaction

3. call various business logic that calls BMP Entity beans directory -- i.e. no SLSB facade in between. The entity beans obtain a DataSource first to get a db transaction.

4. call commit on UserTransaction

If an error happens in step 3., I had previously called setRollbackOnly and skipped step 4. The database transaction was then in a usable state, i.e. it has been rolled back in the DBMS and the app server also seemed to be ok.

I've done a bit more reading and have found notes saying that you're only supposed to use container managed transactions with entity beans.

Based on that info, I removed the UserTransaction code, and made sure by BMP Entity beans were using "Required" as their transaction attribute.

I then repeated the test.

This time, the same business logic error happened of course but two differences occurred:

a) Every call to an Entity bean seemed to result in a new database transaction, instead of previously, all calls within the scope of the tx.begin/tx.commit being in a database transaction.

b) At least now the db transaction was left in a usable state, i.e. rolled back in the database, BUT i'm screwed because not all sql statements were rolled back and so the database is left in an inconsistent state.

I could imagine that creating a truckload of SLSBs and wrapping my calls to the Entity beans with SLSBs might solve the problem but i'm hoping i don't have to do this.

Is anyone able to help me shed light on this?

Regards,
                Greg.