11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2007 6:15 AM by Florian Marwede

    Calendar from bad to worse?

    Kristian Aaslund Newbie

      I understand that the calendar component has been somewhat buggy since the first release. I have had problems with 'unparseable date' errors occurring when opening a form with predefined dates set (early 3.1.3 snapshots). This happens both when using the standard date pattern and other valid patterns.

      I have tried newer snapshots, and lately the 3.1.3 GA, but to me the calendar seems to have gone from bad to worse. On every input form I have a cancel button that disregards the form and navigates to another page. This button is set with immediate="true" to skip validation. With 3.1.3 GA this button won't work at all when my form has one or more calendars in it. It seems like the form is validated even if the button is immediate, but the h:message, h:messages or even rich:message don't show any validation error.

      Also the calendar is bugging seriously in the demo:
      - It is rendered behind the menu to the left (Opera).
      - After i uncheck the 'apply button' the calendar won't pop up at all.

      I wish more effort was spent on fixing bugs on existing components before releasing new components. Are you suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_featurism?

      Just my frustration trying to use RF in production environments.

        • 1. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
          Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara Apprentice

          I also suffered conversions errors, but they are solved now (calendar was not using converter right).

          My problem now is it doesn't pop the calendar due to Javasript errors... http://jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=125663

          • 2. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
            Tomislav Jakopec Novice

            Until yesterday, I didn't have problem with calendar. Problem occurred, I report to this forum and I think it will be solved in next few days. Calendar has evolved, but I also think this should be the end. Another thought, maybe it should be two components - one for date, another for date time. That was the case with dataTable and scrollableDataTable.

            • 3. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
              marx3 Apprentice

              there is sth wrong with calendar, I can't use my own style with it:

              new Calendar('form:xxx', {dayListTableId: 'form:xxxDay',
              weekNumberBarId: 'form:xxxWeekNum',
              weekDayBarId: 'form:xxxWeekDay',
              currentDate: new Date(2007,11,18),
              selectedDate: null,
              datePattern: 'yyyy-MM-dd',
              jointPoint: 'bottom-left',
              direction: 'bottom-right',
              toolTipMode:'batch',
              boundaryDatesMode:'inactive',
              popup: true,
              enableManualInput: true,
              showInput: true,
              disabled: false,
              ajaxSingle: true,
              verticalOffset:0,
              horizontalOffset: 0,
              style:'z-index: 3; width: 165px;',
              firstWeekDay: 1,
              minDaysInFirstWeek: 4,
              todayControlMode:'select',
              showScrollerBar:true,
              showWeeksBar:true,
              showWeekDaysBar:true,
              showApplyButton:false,
              className: f_input,
              'monthLabels': ['stycze\u0144','luty','marzec','kwiecie\u0144','maj','czerwiec','lipiec','sierpie\u0144','wrzesie\u0144','pa\u017Adziernik','listopad','grudzie\u0144'] ,
              'monthLabelsShort': ['sty','lut','mar','kwi','maj','cze','lip','sie','wrz','pa\u017A','lis','gru'] ,
              'weekDayLabels': ['niedziela','poniedzia\u0142ek','wtorek','\u015Broda','czwartek','pi\u0105tek','sobota'] ,
              'weekDayLabelsShort': ['N','Pn','Wt','\u015Ar','Cz','Pt','So'] }).load();

              It popups an error
              No definition for: f_input

              • 4. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                marx3 Apprentice

                Sorry for double post.

                there is sth wrong with calendar, I can't use my own style with it:

                <td class="t_col2"><span id="form:xxxPopup"><input class="rich-calendar-input " id="form:xxxInputDate" name="form:xxxInputDate" style="vertical-align: middle; " type="text" /><img class="rich-calendar-button " id="form:xxxPopupButton" style="vertical-align: middle" src="/smo/a4j_3_1_3-SNAPSHOTorg.richfaces.renderkit.html.iconimages.CalendarIcon/DATB/eAHz9.ffv.8AAAkiAyw_" /><input id="form:xxxInputCurrentDate" name="form:xxxInputCurrentDate" style="display:none" type="hidden" value="12/2007" /></span><div id="form:xxxIFrame" style="display: none;"></div><div id="form:xxx" style="display: none;"></div><div id="form:xxxScript" style="display: none;"><script type="text/javascript">new Calendar('form:xxx', {dayListTableId: 'form:xxxDay',
                 weekNumberBarId: 'form:xxxWeekNum',
                 weekDayBarId: 'form:xxxWeekDay',
                 currentDate: new Date(2007,11,18),
                 selectedDate: null,
                 datePattern: 'yyyy-MM-dd',
                 jointPoint: 'bottom-left',
                 direction: 'bottom-right',
                 toolTipMode:'batch',
                 boundaryDatesMode:'inactive',
                 popup: true,
                 enableManualInput: true,
                 showInput: true,
                 disabled: false,
                 ajaxSingle: true,
                 verticalOffset:0,
                 horizontalOffset: 0,
                 style:'z-index: 3; width: 165px;',
                 firstWeekDay: 1,
                 minDaysInFirstWeek: 4,
                 todayControlMode:'select',
                 showScrollerBar:true,
                 showWeeksBar:true,
                 showWeekDaysBar:true,
                 showApplyButton:false,
                 className: f_input,
                'monthLabels': ['stycze\u0144','luty','marzec','kwiecie\u0144','maj','czerwiec','lipiec','sierpie\u0144','wrzesie\u0144','pa\u017Adziernik','listopad','grudzie\u0144'] ,
                'monthLabelsShort': ['sty','lut','mar','kwi','maj','cze','lip','sie','wrz','pa\u017A','lis','gru'] ,
                'weekDayLabels': ['niedziela','poniedzia\u0142ek','wtorek','\u015Broda','czwartek','pi\u0105tek','sobota'] ,
                'weekDayLabelsShort': ['N','Pn','Wt','\u015Ar','Cz','Pt','So'] }).load();</script></div><label for="form:xxx">
                


                It popups an error
                No definition for: f_input

                • 6. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                  Bradley Smith Master

                  Also, it looks like using the String, "en_US", which is the string-based representation of the US-English Locale doesn't work; rather, I've discovered through trial and error that the locale attribute must point to an instance of java.util.Locale (e.g. Locale.US). The usage examples suggest the ability to use a String to specify the Locale; the documentation simply says:

                  locale Used for locale definition


                  (BTW, kaaslund, great wikipedia link)

                  • 7. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                    Nick Belaevski Master

                     

                    "kaaslund" wrote:
                    Also the calendar is bugging seriously in the demo:
                    - It is rendered behind the menu to the left (Opera).
                    - After i uncheck the 'apply button' the calendar won't pop up at all.

                    I can see both bugs in Opera not in other browsers. The second seems to be caused by issues in opera

                    Tracked as:
                    http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/RF-1673
                    and http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/RF-1674


                    • 8. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                      Nick Belaevski Master

                       

                      "kaaslund" wrote:
                      I have tried newer snapshots, and lately the 3.1.3 GA, but to me the calendar seems to have gone from bad to worse. On every input form I have a cancel button that disregards the form and navigates to another page. This button is set with immediate="true" to skip validation. With 3.1.3 GA this button won't work at all when my form has one or more calendars in it. It seems like the form is validated even if the button is immediate, but the h:message, h:messages or even rich:message don't show any validation error.


                      I cannot see the problem. Navigation works, validation doesn't occur. Could you please put some more words on it? Page code would be fine.

                      • 9. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                        Nick Belaevski Master

                         

                        "bsmithjj" wrote:
                        Also, it looks like using the String, "en_US", which is the string-based representation of the US-English Locale doesn't work; rather, I've discovered through trial and error that the locale attribute must point to an instance of java.util.Locale (e.g. Locale.US). The usage examples suggest the ability to use a String to specify the Locale; the documentation simply says:

                        locale Used for locale definition


                        (BTW, kaaslund, great wikipedia link)


                        Thank you, created RFC on that: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/RF-1675 ...

                        • 10. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                          Kristian Aaslund Newbie

                           

                          "nbelaevski" wrote:

                          I cannot see the problem. Navigation works, validation doesn't occur. Could you please put some more words on it? Page code would be fine.


                          Thanks, but I solved the problem. The error was mine..

                          • 11. Re: Calendar from bad to worse?
                            Florian Marwede Expert

                             

                            "kaaslund" wrote:

                            I wish more effort was spent on fixing bugs on existing components before releasing new components. Are you suffering from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_featurism?


                            Just a comment from another RF user: I know what you wanna say, but there are also lots of other people who want this component and that component and say, these are standard, everyone had those.
                            So it is always a tightrope walk between new features and bug fixes.

                            In my opinion the Richfaces team solve this problem well.

                            "kaaslund" wrote:

                            Just my frustration trying to use RF in production environments.


                            We use richfaces for about six month and develope at this time:

                            - A demo for a thin web client for a trade fair, which was very successful there.
                            - Another thin web client, which is already deployed at customers side.
                            - A prototype for a complex rich web client which is running well until know. Only in this context we detected two bugs which will be fixed in 3.2.0 we hope (but we have workarounds for them).

                            So I don't want the Richfaces team get lazy too, but when everything goes forward like the last months I'm very satisfied.