I answered my own question after a weekend of reading and punding this until it submitted.
Easy answer was I did not include the library components from client so jndi was not going to work at all.
I ended up with
Context ctx = new InitialContext();
DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:/Drive");
con = ds.getConnection();
Once I had the client jars added.
I also used
for my mssql-ds.xml
Initially I was getting the not bound error, but I copied the mssql-ds.xml verbatim from an example on this forum and it works great, Note I still have it named drive, boy am I lazy.
Hope this helps any other newb's