1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2003 3:31 AM by jonlee

How to tell if MySQL connection pool is up?

superflav

Does anyone know how I can tell whether or not my MySQL connection pool has been instantiated? I ask, because I have not been able to connect to my database via JNDI. I have no problems connecting to it directly within my Java code, just not through JNDI.

I've tried configuring my mysql-ds.xml file a bunch of different ways, and JBoss never gives me much feedback, whether the configuration is correct (for my DB) or not. I can go into the JNDI view within the JMX console and see that the JNDI name exists, but I have no way to tell whether or not the connection pool is working.

From my mysql-ds.xml file:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<local-tx-datasource>
      <jndi-name>jdbc/devDB</jndi-name>
      <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test</connection-url>
      <driver-class>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
      <user-name></user-name>

<min-pool-size>50</min-pool-size>
      <max-pool-size>100</max-pool-size>
      <blocking-timeout-millis>10000</blocking-timeout-millis>
      <idle-timeout-minutes>15</idle-timeout-minutes>
      </local-tx-datasource>

This is running on:
      JBoss 3.2.1
      MySQL 4.0
      mysql-connector-java-3.0.8-stable-bin.jar

Any help is much apprecitated.

thanks,
      Chris Fraser

• 1. Re: How to tell if MySQL connection pool is up?
          jonlee

I haven't really delved into the code for the connection pools but I don't think any connections are instantiated until you actually make the first request for a connection - or at least from observation of our own systems, even with a min-pool-size setting.

Since you are not getting there, it is not even an issue about whether your settings are correct for the JDBC driver.

You need to connect first. Try using a simple name like devDB and grab the JNDI datasource with a reference to "java:/devDB". At least you will have a working starting point, before experimenting with hierarchies.