2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2003 12:27 AM by nicolas

OracleXADataSource error

akirdat

I get this error on Jboss 3.2.0-tomcat 4.1.24 using Oracle9i as the Database:

WARN [TransactionImpl] XAException: tx=TransactionImpl:XidImpl [FormatId=257, GlobalId=icebox.mydomain.com//69, BranchQual=] errorCode=XAER_PROTO
      javax.transaction.xa.XAException
      at oracle.jdbc.xa.OracleXAResource.disallowLocalTxnMode(OracleXAResource.java:1045)
      at oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXAResource.start(OracleXAResource.java:153)
      at org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.xa.XAManagedConnection.start(XAManagedConnection.java:133)

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this error might be occuring?

I appreciate any comments/help ...

• 1. Re: OracleXADataSource error
          akirdat

Ok when I use the non-transactional Connection pool the Oracle stuff works.
          However, I am still interested in having transaction support built in, so If somebody has ideas, on what might be causing the problem or how I can fix it, please post away.

• 2. Re: OracleXADataSource error
            nicolas

Hi Amit

I've been trying different things with XA-Oracle and JBoss CMP these days. I have the following suspection about your problem and would appreciate if you tried to resolve it and would report if you were able to fix it.

JBoss: 3.2.1
            Oracle driver and client libs: 9.2.0.1.0
            Oracle server: 9.2.0.2.0

1) Everything that works with oci8 also works with thin and everything that does not work with thin also does not work with oci. True for Windows as well as for Solaris. I have not encountered a single difference between the two drivers.
            2) According to EJB 2.0 17.4.1, attributes "NotSupported", "Supports" and "Never" should not be used for CMP 2.0 entities.
            3) Using these three attributes with Local-Oracle or Hypersonic does not directly cause any problems (I do not consider proper isolation here).
            4) Using "NotSupported", "Supports" or "Never" with XA-Oracle causes an XAException with the code XAER_PROTO you report to be thrown.

I suspect that JBoss CMP does not sufficiently support the attributes "NotSupported", "Supports" and "Never", but does not complain either when they are configured on a CMP 2.0 Bean method. I'm saying this while I do not myself exactly understand what I mean by sufficiently supporting the attributes.

Please try to use "Required", "RequiresNew" or "Mandatory" for your entity methods and see if the problem disappears. Do not forget to set these attributes for all methods, including finder and home methods.

Hope this helps...
            Nicolas