7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2004 9:49 PM by ricardoarguello

EMB - done?

dhartford

Hey all,
      Started looking into JSR-86/Enterprise Media Beans. Is this project still active, and if it is not, where is/was the source located in CVS to take a look?
      Thanks,
      -D

• 1. Re: EMB - done?
          bill.burke

cvs checkout jboss-head

module media.

It is not very active. If you want to take it over, I can direct you to the appropriate people.

Bill

• 2. Re: EMB - done?
            ricardoarguello

dhartford,

If you are interested in helping, please drop me a line. We need help developing a sample application that uses what's in the CVS right now.

Ricardo Argüello

• 3. Re: EMB - done?
              dhartford

Checked out jboss-media from CVS - should be same as media in HEAD, I will verify.

Hey Ricardo, ironically it was your blog that pointed me to Jboss's implementation. Great work! I'm presently figuring out how the Media Foundation Beans sub-section of JSR-86 work out. I have a business need to get functionality with TIFF image formats (yeah, simple Split and Rotate, nothing fancy or exciting but pays the bills).

Working on some sample MediaFormat and MediaHeader for the TIFF format based on JAI/JAI-IO. Only been couple of days, but have already made progress.

What are your thoughts for a sample application?
              -D

• 4. Re: EMB - done?
                bill.burke

Ricardo,

If you find this guy has something useful to contribute, let me know, and I'll get him CVS access.

Bill

• 5. Re: EMB - done?
                  dhartford

hey all,
                  First, confirmed jboss-media and Media in jboss-head are the same.

Second, making headway on the MFB side of the spec. I'm still working with the JAI, the JAI-IO, and the Sun Java 1.4.2 IO libraries but plan on also adding in support for Batik-based library formats, then open to ideas on any other Media libraries we should also write MFB's for.

As for a sample application/demo/usefulness, this opens up some discussion:

I have doubts that following the spec without add-on will have any value. Definately one of those added-value kind of deals in my opinion.

One of the areas in the spec that I do not understand is the assembleContent/disassembleContent methods and the idea of 'embedded' formats. Are TIFF and MPEG considered an 'Embedded' format...and if so, how should those be handled differently?

I definately see how this would be awesome/cool, but trying to keep a level head and take care of the nitty-gritty correctly first.
                  -D

• 6. Re: EMB - done?
                    dhartford

hey all,
                    First, confirmed jboss-media and Media in jboss-head are the same.

Second, making headway on the MFB side of the spec. I'm still working with the JAI, the JAI-IO, and the Sun Java 1.4.2 IO libraries but plan on also adding in support for Batik-based library formats, then open to ideas on any other Media libraries we should also write MFB's for.

As for a sample application/demo/usefulness, this opens up some discussion:

I have doubts that following the spec without add-on will have any value. Definately one of those added-value kind of deals in my opinion.

One of the areas in the spec that I do not understand is the assembleContent/disassembleContent methods and the idea of 'embedded' formats. Are TIFF and MPEG considered an 'Embedded' format...and if so, how should those be handled differently?

I definately see how this would be awesome/cool, but trying to keep a level head and take care of the nitty-gritty correctly first.
                    -D

• 7. Re: EMB - done?
                      ricardoarguello

Yes, the "jboss-media" module is checked out as "media" when you checkout HEAD.

I agree with you, we need to have some kind of sample application to show the power of EMB. I was thinking about an application that shows the format independent metadata querying available in MFB. An MP3 library, with ID3 tag display, or a stock photography e-commerce site with digital watermarking (and "SAMPLE" written over thumbnails, all generated automatically using JBoss Media)

You need to read the JSR-86 spec to understand the most important parts of JBoss Media. Embedded media is explained in the spec.

Keep up working on those JAI based MediaFormats! An SVG MediaFormat sound interesting.