6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2004 10:31 PM by darranl

Is anybody working/using EMB?

bill.burke

Doesn't seem to be any activity in 6 months. Is anybody using this module? We may remove it from the official download.

Bill

• 1. Re: Is anybody working/using EMB?
          starksm64

Thanks Scott, that sorted the problem.

• 2. Re: EMB - done?
            darranl

hey all,
            First, confirmed jboss-media and Media in jboss-head are the same.

Second, making headway on the MFB side of the spec. I'm still working with the JAI, the JAI-IO, and the Sun Java 1.4.2 IO libraries but plan on also adding in support for Batik-based library formats, then open to ideas on any other Media libraries we should also write MFB's for.

As for a sample application/demo/usefulness, this opens up some discussion:

I have doubts that following the spec without add-on will have any value. Definately one of those added-value kind of deals in my opinion.

One of the areas in the spec that I do not understand is the assembleContent/disassembleContent methods and the idea of 'embedded' formats. Are TIFF and MPEG considered an 'Embedded' format...and if so, how should those be handled differently?

I definately see how this would be awesome/cool, but trying to keep a level head and take care of the nitty-gritty correctly first.
            -D

• 3. Re: Is anybody working/using EMB?
              dhartford

Hey Bill,
              EMB would be nice, but I think you're right this project is stale and too incomplete to be of use. My two coppers to go ahead and remove from official download but obviously keep it in CVS if people start working on it again.

Thanks for the heads up!
              -D

• 4. Re: Is anybody working/using EMB?
                ricardoarguello

I´m the manteiner of the JBoss Media module.
                It is true, I haven´t had enough time to work on the module.
                It´s knid of incomplete but most of the Media Foundation Beans part is complete.
                The Media Entity Beans part is based on a deployed Session + Entity Bean, so it is not flexible.
                We also need a working example of the technology, as a showcase of what´s possible with EMB.

I hope to find some time in the near future to work on an example application to include with the implementation.

Maybe we should not delete JBoss Media from the all/deploy directory. What about moving it to docs/examples/media so people start working with it if they want to.

Bill: What is 4.0 expected release date?

Thanks,

Ricardo Arguello

• 5. Re: Is anybody working/using EMB?
                  starksm64

The jboss-media-entity-ejb.jar has been removed from the all/deploy contents and added to the docs/examples/media directory of the dist.

• 6. Re: Is anybody working/using EMB?
                    darranl

Have these changes afftected the build for the testsuite?

I have just checked out a clean copy of jboss-head and executed build in the build module which completes without any problems.

Then when I execute build in the testsuite module I get the following errors: -

[javac] Compiling 1805 source files to C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\output\classes
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:17: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] symbol : class EntityMediaBeanTester
                     [javac] location: package ejb
                     [javac] import org.jboss.test.media.entity.ejb.EntityMediaBeanTester;
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:18: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] symbol : class EntityMediaBeanTesterHome
                     [javac] location: package ejb
                     [javac] import org.jboss.test.media.entity.ejb.EntityMediaBeanTesterHome;
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:26: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] location: class org.jboss.test.media.entity.test.EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase
                     [javac] private EntityMediaBeanTesterHome home;
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:48: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] location: class org.jboss.test.media.entity.test.EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase
                     [javac] EntityMediaBeanTester tester = home.create();
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:57: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] EntityMediaBeanTester tester = home.create();
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:90: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] (EntityMediaBeanTesterHome) PortableRemoteObject.narrow(
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] C:\Removable\Work\Development\JBoss\jboss-head\testsuite\src\main\org\jboss\test\media\entity\test\EntityMediaBeanUnitTestCase.java:92: cannot resolve symbol
                     [javac] EntityMediaBeanTesterHome.class);
                     [javac] ^
                     [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
                     [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
                     [javac] 7 errors

To double check I have also downloaded the 4RC2 source bundle from sourceforge which compiles without the errors above.