3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2005 6:32 PM by dsicore

Replacement for JSR-86?

This JSR appears to be a bit dated as J2EE ...er... JEE has changed quite a bit since that JSR was finalized. It uses entity beans to provide access to rich media.

The reason I ask is we are dealing with rich media assets (e.g., wiki attachments, webinars, podcasts) and some may need to be handled via our CMS. If this spec is too old, I'd be interested to find out if there are plans for a newer concept/api. Anyone?

Specifically, I realize that we are probably going to drop this api, but are we going to replace it with something else?

Sincerely,

Damon
      ---
      dsicore@jboss.org JBoss Labs Lead 214-883-6733
      36FD 368C 38E4 2DA2 6E2C C0A6 FA7F 8A87 EA10 65A9
      Public Key: http://keys.sicore.org/jboss.txt

• 1. Re: Replacement for JSR-86?
          starksm64

That was a contribution by a user and we don't have any plans to revive it. Currently its disabled in the build as far as I remember.

• 2. Re: Replacement for JSR-86?
            dhartford

I was not one of the original contributors, but I did have an interested in EMB.

I concur that the original JSR is dated and does not look like it will be revived. My opinion is that it's parent technology that the Enterprise version was building from on the JSE side has also not seen a lot of movement - Java Media Framework:

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.jsp

Maybe an extension to put on top of JEE 5? With JSF web-components coming into play, there is better opportunity for active use of media streams and embedded media players in web-based applications following JSF.

p.s. Originally, I was only trying to take care of a java-based multipage TIFF viewer for one of my projects that got me caught up in EMB. Since that time, just wrote my own with JAI as an applet before turning back to using native viewers from the OS in the webapp due to performance reasons.

• 3. Re: Replacement for JSR-86?

Well, if nobody is going to use this... especially, the JSR 86 stuff, I'd like to reuse the name 'Media' as we are doing something quite different with our Labs media repository, and it can quite well stand alone.

Our implementation isn't JSR 86 (EMB) and doesn't want to be. Instead, we are using POJOs for our content management... different from JCR and this JSR with no plans at the moment to merge. However, the use and management of rich media assets is something that anyone can reuse and we want turn it out on its own. Please let me know of any objections to reusing the JBoss Media name.