5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2004 1:30 PM by hxp

Eclipse IDE & Nukes

Hi,

I readed the forum posts about setting up eclipse to do nuke development. I followed those advertisements and I am not sure what support they want/get from eclipse because I ran into some problems they have been never described:

1. I added all libraries to the project as described in common-classpath, nukes-classpath and template-classpath.

2. Then I added the common/src/main directory to the build path of the project. The Java Builder is invoked. Because some source files are generated with jflex, I am not able to compile the project. So I am stuck.

If I cant add source folders so eclipse can properly build all source files, I have no Code completion and all the other nice features of the IDE. I am wondering, how other people solved this/other problems. My guess is, to write a shell script to invoke jflex as an external tool?!

Regards,

Cyrill

• 1. Re: Eclipse IDE & Nukes
          jae77

it's completely possible that those files on the wiki site are outdated and you will have to manually add some additional jars to the classpaths.

you should also run ant from the command line in the "build" directory first. a lot of code for nukes is generated via the build process, and you will need that to help resolve the other dependencies.

• 2. Re: Eclipse IDE & Nukes

The documentation on the wiki is incomplete.

There are build scripts (.sh, .bat) in each subdirectory off the root that will invoke the Ant scripts.

If you go to the build subdirectory, set up your local.properties and run the build script there, it will run all the others, including the jflex part.

Once you have done that, there are a bunch of src directories within the subdirectory output directories ie. nukes/output/gen/classes, that have additional classes like EJB homes etc. These should be added to your classpath.

I have just updated the Eclipse wiki page at http://jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SettingUpClasspaths with a .classpath file that has all this in it.

Sherman

• 3. Re: Eclipse IDE & Nukes

Also, I run the various Ant build.xmls from within Eclipse directly, without using the build.sh/build.bat.

Sherman

• 4. Re: Eclipse IDE & Nukes

So it seems that there is no way to develop nukes without running the ant scripts. I have now added the *.jar of every module where it was neccessary (EJB Interfaces). Close to the same as including the output/gen classes.

My thought was, that I can develop nukes only with eclipse as long as I handle with java files. I tried to set up xdoclet configuration in JBoss IDE but was not successfully in the first attempt. The EJB Interfaces where never generated.

Now I have set up external tools links to the main task in build/build.xml and to installer/deploy-installer in distrib. So I can only check those tasks from the menu bar.

Regards,

Cyrill

• 5. Re: Eclipse IDE & Nukes
                  hxp

Cyrill --

"innovate" wrote:
                  So it seems that there is no way to develop nukes without running the ant scripts.

You can be 100% clear on that -- Ant is the heart and soul of the Nukes build process. There is no way to get away from that, nor reason to get away from that.

Also -- If you want to make progress quickly, just remember that you can always fall back to using Eclipse as a fancy editor, and just do your Ant build from the command line as mentioned in

http://jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=InstallUninstallUpgrade

(FWIW, I find that Eclipse candy-coatings are often a net time-loser, due to the overhead of getting them set up and working properly with each kind of project... so I often just skip setting them up at all.)

I agree with Sherman on how to get the Eclipse integration going, and it certainly shouldnt be as hard as you've been experiencing.

--Howard