4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2003 11:49 AM by mclaugs

Jsr77 Manageability

ivrajesh

Hi,

If i deploy an application in a Jboss i could see the application given jsr77 manageablity. I think all these stuffs are carried out
      internallly in Jboss. My application is also represented as an MBean having ObjectName parts
      "j2eeType=J2EEApplication,J2EEServer=Single,name=MyApplication". This sounds great.

Now my doubt is if i want to represent the classes in my applications also as jsr77 manageable objects then what have to i do?. In my
      application i have some MBeans and for theses MBeans i want to give jsr77 manageable access. How to convert these MBeans as
      jsr77 ManagedObjects and register with MEJB.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Rajesh I.V

• 1. Re: Jsr77 Manageability
          mclaugs

First off what version of JBoss are you using?

As for Jsr-77:
          When a Jsr-77 manageable component is deployed the required Management object are created by the JBoss server and are accessible by the MEJB.

I am not sure what you are asking when you say you would like to represent the classes in your application as
          jsr-77 manageable objects?

If you create MBeans they are manageable from the JMX server, but they may not be jsr-77 manageable objects. jsr-77 manageable object can provide state management functionally along with statistics functionally. The jsr-77 specification generally addresses how to manage a j2ee enviroment in a standard way. Topics on application management are not part of the specification at this point. Some details about application management are discuess in the application deployment specification (jsr-88)

If your applications provide extra functionally to the server in the form of services such as the services provided by the EJB Container, Then your MBeans would work well as Jsr-77 manageable objects. Other wise standard MBean are a better choose. Please reply to this and we can discuess this in more detail, but I will need a bit more information about what your MBeans do to better answer your questions.

• 2. Re: Jsr77 Manageability
            ivrajesh

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I am using JBoss 3.0. Ok i will put forth my requirement in more precise way.Let us assume that i have one Ear file in that i have some ejbs and some MBeans.When i deploy this ear in JBoss and can see this application itself is represented as a MBean and the ObjectName of it clearly follows the JSR77 ObjectName standard and hence it can be concluded that my application as a whole got JSR77 Manegability.

As of now i have not explicitly done anything to make my application JSR77 manageable. As this ear is deployed in the appserver this appserver itself takes care of giving the JSR77 manageability to this application. Now i want to make the ejbs present in my Ear file also a JSR77 manageable components. I also want to give state and performance management for all these ejbs in this ear.I guess to achieve this i should make my ejbs managed objects and they should be registered with the MEjb.

Now can you please tell me the procedure i need to follow to accomplish this.(The procedure to convert it as managed objects, getting mejb reference and registering with it)

Thanks for your help,
            Rajesh I.V

• 3. 2003-02-19 11:49:57
              ivrajesh

• 4. Re: Jsr77 Manageability
                mclaugs

I now understand what you are asking about, thanks for describing what you are trying to do in a little more detail.

To answer you question, all JSR77 manageability is handled by the application server. There is nothing that needs to be done in the application. your EJB's are not manageable because that part of the specification was not completed in JBoss 3.0. The JSR77 specification is still in the process of being implemented and is planned for the 3.2 release. That release should include all management object requires by the specification and also parts of the state management and statistics (Considered optional by the specification).

Does this answer your questions?

Scott