4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2007 9:36 AM by adrian.brock

Feature request to implement redelivery delay

timfox

I have added a feature request for the JCA layer to implement redelivery delay for MDBs.

This is a nice feature in many jms providers which is currently unusable when using them with MDBs in JBoss.

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-4438

• 1. Re: Feature request to implement redelivery delay
          weston.price

Currently, redelivery is done via transactions (either local or XA). I suppose an option could be added to the adapter as well as legacy ASF stuff to delay for a configurable period before relaying the failure back to the provider. It won't be 'real time' but since nothing in JMS provides real time guarantees this is probably ok.

• 2. Re: Feature request to implement redelivery delay

I closed the feature request since it is a stupid idea.

The MDB cannot control the message handling, all it can do is rollback
            the transaction. Once that is done, it no longer controls the message.

• 3. Re: Feature request to implement redelivery delay
              bill.burke

Its not a stupid idea. Stupid idea for it to be an MDB feature, yes, but an adapter and/or provider feature? No.

The ESB is also receiving feature requests of timed delivery as well, i.e. I only want to deliver messages between 11pm-12am.

• 4. Re: Feature request to implement redelivery delay

"bill.burke@jboss.com" wrote:
                Its not a stupid idea. Stupid idea for it to be an MDB feature, yes, but an adapter and/or provider feature? No.

The ESB is also receiving feature requests of timed delivery as well, i.e. I only want to deliver messages between 11pm-12am.

That's a different feature altogether. i.e. only activate delivery of the MDB between those times.

It's trivial to do with the old EJB2 MDB. You simply set
                <DeliveryActive>false</DeliveryActive>

in jboss.xml and then use a timer to invoke start/stopDelivery() on the MBean.
                I don't believe the same feature exists with EJB3?