9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2004 9:48 AM by spiritualmechanic

M2 Spec'ing

acoliver

Let's discuss what we want for M2:

1. Mail Lists. I'll head this up. Once we have this ready we can start using Mail Services to run Marc's newsletter which should give us some good data on how well we handle volume.

2. POP/SSL. Who wants this? It seems that we can't just do starttls.

3. Figure out Security - We need to move towards something that makes sense.

4. Test kit. We should all take part in this of course.

5. Chainable Mail Listeners. Mail Listeners should be either top level (like now) where ALL send the mail or chainable in some kind of pipeline where they can consume or not consume the mail. This should be

6. Nukes integration. Once we get this we can start working on having the JBoss forums go two way. This will give us the mother of all real world test cases. We can live or die here.

7. Calendaring - Integrate the third party code.

8. Other backends for user repository (or whatever takes its place): EJB, LDAP, ??

What else? Anything that shouldn't or can't be on the list? What do you guys want to work on? Can we do all of this inside of a month?

• 1. Re: M2 Spec'ing
          kabirkhan

I'll look at POP/SSL and SMTP/SSL, probably makes sense since I'm pretty familiar with it already. Just hope there aren't any hidden gotchas!

I'd love to look at the Nukes integration as well.

I'll flesh out the TLS bits of the M1 docs.

• 2. Re: M2 Spec'ing
            acoliver

For nukes integration every forum should be subscribable essentially as a mail list. meaning I should be able to send to tis forum at MailServices@forums.jboss.org and receive messages.

• 3. Re: M2 Spec'ing
              pilhuhn

Andy wrote:

Mail Lists.

This are two parts, where one relies on the other, but is not necessarily needed:
              1) alias expansion. Needed in any case, as users want mail to be stored locally and forwarded to their GSM.
              2) request processing: a piece of code, that enables user to send mail to a list processor to add/remove/.. them.

One should be able to disable 2)

1) needs an administration frontend (which could be vi if the aliases are stored in a flat file).

2) would then do what Andy wants for Nukes integration.

2) Should imho follow a known list processor like majordomo.

And no, I don't have time to help :-((

• 4. Re: M2 Spec'ing
                acoliver

For M2 list management should just be MBean based. It will definitely play into nukes integration but I want to get the basics working first. My goal is to get this all replacing JBoss infrastructure ASAP as that will give us a really high volume user that will give us adequate bug reporting.

• 5. Re: M2 Spec'ing
                  pilhuhn

That's what I meant. Expanding aliases is basic stuff that needs to be present. List management is the bonus.

• 6. Re: M2 Spec'ing
                    acoliver

Sounds about right, I'm just scoping what we'll do for M2.

• 7. Re: M2 Spec'ing

Can we piggyback on Nukes users/roles for security? I'll have to look into that.

• 8. Re: M2 Spec'ing
                        acoliver

We could make that an option but I think Julien was talking about integrating more with JBossSX so might be less productive than going that direction and meeting them there.

• 9. Re: M2 Spec'ing

Okay, that's fine. I'd prefer that as well (JBossSX), long-term.
                          Steve