6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2006 8:55 PM by acoliver

The suspense is killing me...

sappenin

Andy,

Any chance you'll be contributing your MIME code back to the JBMS project?

http://linuxintegrators.com/acoliver/code/?permalink=x-0288.html

Also, the suspense is killing me?when can you talk about the new "goings on".

David

• 1. Re: The suspense is killing me...
          acoliver

sent you an email.

• 2. Re: The suspense is killing me...
            acoliver

Oh and my filestore code is much more interesting. Not that IMAP isn't important...but the filestore stuff is a massive improvement over hypersonic which means we're getting a lot closer to all GUI/webstart production-able installs.

• 3. Re: The suspense is killing me...
              sappenin

The filestore stuff is *very* interesting on a number of fronts. Most fascinating of all (in my mind) is an idea I've been thinking about lately to store JBMS back-end data onto Amazon's S3 service (www.amazon.com/aws) via a filesystem interface like JungleDisk or something similar. It would be a cool way to host a JBMS service on a large scale without having to worry about huge amounts of back-end storage.

The catch is that AWS is not POSIX compliant (aws can't guarantee certain things that a normal filesystem would). I'd be curious to do some testing on this, though....also to hear thoughts about whether such a setup could even work or not.

• 4. Re: The suspense is killing me...
                sappenin

Andy,

Got your mail and sent you a response.

Do you have any idea how fast the filestore code [could be]/[will be] as compared to a Postgres dbase-backed mail store, especially in a large scale implementation?

For larger email providers, it seems like a SAN would be employed (whether with a filestore or a db store). Does the database add anything beneficial in such a scenario (for typical mail operations). Or, would it make sense to employ some kind of hybrid (mail messages on the FileSys, Calendaring/User data in the DB)?

David

• 5. Re: The suspense is killing me...
                  acoliver

At the moment mailboxes are in the DB and the filestore keeps body parts only. I haven't done any benchmarking vs Postgresql specifically but for single server installations I suspect it will exceed postgresql performance if only because it doesn't copy the mail parts around in memory like PG.

• 6. Re: The suspense is killing me...
                    acoliver

(note that this is configurable, we intend to continue to support DB stores too)