3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2005 8:09 PM by Ravi Sathish

login.jsp tag library error?

Bill Blackmon Newbie

I'm trying to run the Bank app using JBoss 3.x via the 'Getting Started
      With JBoss'. I've deployed the app successfully but when I hit the
      http://127.0.0.1:8080/bank/main URL or http://localhost:8080/bank/main
      I get a blank screen with the following error message in the logs:
      <<<<<<<<<<
      2005-01-12 15:29:47,616 ERROR [org.jboss.web.localhost.Engine] ApplicationDispatcher[/bank] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
      java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagAttributeInfo.(Ljava/lang/String;ZLjava/lang/String;ZZ)V

at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.createAttribute(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:568)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.createTagInfo(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:401)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.parseTLD(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:248)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:162)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:418)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:483)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1539)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:126)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.java:220)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:101)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:203)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:470)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:451)
      at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)
      at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:511)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:295)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
      at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:704)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:474)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:409)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:312)
      at com.sun.ebank.web.Dispatcher.doGet(Unknown Source)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:704)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:474)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:409)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:312)
      at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.authenticate(FormAuthenticator.java:220)
      at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:504)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
      at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
      at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
      at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
      at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
      at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
      >>>

I'm unsure what to make of this. The Struts and Servlet jar files are included in the web.war file. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: login.jsp tag library error?
          Ravi Sathish Newbie

did you get to resolve this error so far?

I'm stuck up at exactly the same place

• 2. Re: login.jsp tag library error?
            Bill Blackmon Newbie

Yes, I fixed the problem but it was long and difficult and I don't remember exactly how I did it. I know I removed the javax.servlet.jar from the default/lib directory and replaced the struts.jar file with a version dated 6/29/2003 (I believe I'd used a more recent version of the struts.jar originally, which was NOT the version recommended in the tutorial). I believe there was some type of collision between the Tomcat servlet.jar and the java.servlet.jar in default/lib. The problem was not with any .tld files because I checked that first. Sorry I don't remember exactly how I fixed it - I was moving too quickly.

• 3. Re: login.jsp tag library error?
              Ravi Sathish Newbie

Yep You are right...

Removing servlet.jar default/deploy seems to solve the problem

Example application works fine... except it throws some exceptions when I logoff. I couldn't care less.

So 3 major changes are required to make the example application work on jboss-3.2.5:

1>In build.properties comment out servlet.jar path or make it point to tomcat's servlet.jar as shown in step (2)

2> In jboss-build.xml change the servlet.jar property so that tomcat's servlet.jar is picked

3> remove servlet.jar from default/deploy

R