3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2008 11:10 AM by peterj

Seam, Do I need for production Enviroments ?

subemontes

Hi all.
      I'm in charge of deploying a Jboss AS Server for my firm.

Atm, and after quite fighthing and reading about jboss and java and JVM and this forum, I have the next question:

Seam is a framework, for sure, but... ¿Do i need to copy it to a production server that is gonna receive .ear archives ?

¿Will Jboss use "seam" habilities ? or are they integrated in the code the developers pass to me ?

And, at las, ¿Do i need seam for production enviroments ? Do i need portal ? (have the same problem)

Thanks in advice.

• 1. Re: Seam, Do I need for production Enviroments ?
          peterj

You do not need to copy Seam to the production server. Any applications that use Seam should include the necessary Seam JAR files as part of the EAR file.

I do not know what you mean by "Do i need seam for production enviroments ?" How is this question different from what you have already asked (and I have already answered).

Regarding your question "Do i need portal ?", only you would know the answer to that. But I can tell you that a portal is not required to run Seam applications.

• 2. Re: Seam, Do I need for production Enviroments ?
            subemontes

Well, the first question was about the "need" of Seam in production to work the apps.

The second was about the "possible improvement" of having seam.

Is like Java, you can run Jboss with a Jre, but if u use SDK you have more tools to monitor ... more options on JVM

(Correct me, plz, if I'm wrong in that point)

So, those were the differences :)

• 3. Re: Seam, Do I need for production Enviroments ?
              peterj

Seam does no good by itself, only in conjunction with an application that uses it do you get any benefit from it. I do not know if, for example, placing the Seam JAR files in server/xxx/lib (to make them available to all apps that use seam) would work or if it would cause problems (it would definitely cause problems if each app required a different version of Seam).

By the way, there is no difference in capabilities between running JBossAS with a JRE or a JDK. You used to have to have a JDK because it had the tools necessary to compile JSPs. But that capability if now embedded within Tomcat, so a JRE is fine for running JBossAS. Of course, even if your are using a JRE to run JBossAS, you might still want to have the JDK available to make use of the extra tools provided.