11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2008 1:25 PM by Peter Johnson

newbie - JBoss

rob velasquez Newbie

Hi,

I had changed the JBoss default port to 80 and confirmed that no other applications are using this port.
      I have set the JBOSS_Home. Also set the Java class path

When I start run.bat a dos window appears and immediately gets closed.

please guide me what other steps i should do to start JBoss.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: newbie - JBoss
          Peter Johnson Master

Most likely you are running into one of two problems:

1) You have not installed a JDK and/or have not set JAVA_HOME to reference it.

2) You are running into the "findstr" issue - see http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/FindstrCommandNotFound

If neither of these solves your issue, then open a command prompt, 'cd' to the jboss_home/bin directory, and enter:

run

Post all of the output in the command prompt window, including the 'run' command line.

Also, what version of JBossAS and JDK are you using?

• 2. Re: newbie - JBoss
            rob velasquez Newbie

Hi Peter,

I had already set the JAVA_HOME, findstr.exe
            is in c:\windows\system32. Do I need to change anything in run.bat.

I am using JBoss 4.2.2 and jdk1.6.0_07.

• 3. Re: newbie - JBoss
              rob velasquez Newbie

"velasquez" wrote:
              Hi,

I had changed the JBoss default port to 80 and confirmed that no other applications are using this port.
              I have set the JBOSS_Home. Also set the Java class path

When I start run.bat a dos window appears and immediately gets closed.

please guide me what other steps i should do to start JBoss.

Thanks.

Hi Peter,

I had already set the JAVA_HOME, findstr.exe
              is in c:\windows\system32. Do I need to change anything in run.bat.

I am using JBoss 4.2.2 and jdk1.6.0_07.

• 4. Re: newbie - JBoss
                jaikiran pai Master

As suggested by Peter, try this and post the output:

"PeterJ" wrote:

If neither of these solves your issue, then open a command prompt, 'cd' to the jboss_home/bin directory, and enter:

run

Post all of the output in the command prompt window, including the 'run' command line.

• 5. Re: newbie - JBoss
                  Peter Johnson Master

If, when you enter the 'run' command, you get no output and it just goes back to the command line, edit the run.bat file, commenting out the "@echo off" line and try it again - post that output.

• 6. Re: newbie - JBoss
                    rob velasquez Newbie

"PeterJ" wrote:
                    If, when you enter the 'run' command, you get no output and it just goes back to the command line, edit the run.bat file, commenting out the "@echo off" line and try it again - post that output.

Hi Peter,

Please find the output.

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem JBoss Bootstrap Script for Win32

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem ---------------------------------------------------------
                    ----------------

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem $Id: run.bat 63249 2007-05-30 13:20:25Z dimitris@jboss.or
                    g $

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set DIRNAME=.\

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" set DIRNAME=C:\jboss-4.2.2\bi
                    n\

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set PROGNAME=run.bat

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" set PROGNAME=run.bat

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>pushd C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\..

C:\jboss-4.2.2>set JBOSS_HOME=C:\jboss-4.2.2

C:\jboss-4.2.2>popd

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM Add bin/native to the PATH if present

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if exist "C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\native" set PATH=C:\jboss-4.2.2\
                    bin\native;C:\GTK\bin;c:\ruby\bin;C:\Oracle\bin;.;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0
                    _07\bin;C:\Softwares\Ant\apache-ant-1.7.1-bin\apache-ant-1.7.1\bin;C:\Program Fi
                    les\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90
                    \DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files
                    \Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Micros
                    oft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if exist "C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\native" set JAVA_OPTS= -Djava.li
                    brary.path="C:\GTK\bin;c:\ruby\bin;C:\Oracle\bin;.;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.
                    0_07\bin;C:\Softwares\Ant\apache-ant-1.7.1-bin\apache-ant-1.7.1\bin;C:\Program F
                    iles\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\9
                    0\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program File
                    s\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Micro
                    soft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\"

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem Read all command line arguments

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM The env variable commented out in favor of using to inc
                    lude

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM all args in java command line. See bug #840239. [jpl]

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM set ARGS=

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM :loop

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM if [] == [] goto endloop

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM set ARGS=

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM shift

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM goto loop

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>REM :endloop

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem Find run.jar, or we can't continue

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set RUNJAR=C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\run.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if exist "C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\run.jar" goto FOUND_RUN_JAR

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if not "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07" == "" goto ADD_TOO
                    LS

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set JAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin\java

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem A full JDK with toos.jar is not required anymore since jb
                    oss web packages

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem the eclipse jdt compiler and javassist has its own intern
                    al compiler.

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if not exist "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\tools.jar
                    " goto SKIP_TOOLS

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem If exists, point to the JDK javac compiler in case the us
                    er wants to

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem later override the eclipse jdt compiler for compiling JSP
                    pages.

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set JAVAC_JAR=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\tools.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem If JBOSS_CLASSPATH or JAVAC_JAR is empty, don't include i
                    t, as this will

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem result in including the local directory in the classpath,
                    which makes

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem error tracking harder.

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if not "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\tools.jar" == "
                    " set RUNJAR=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\tools.jar;C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\
                    run.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if "" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_
                    07\lib\tools.jar;C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\run.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>if "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\tools.jar;C:\jboss-
                    4.2.2\bin\run.jar" == "" set RUN_CLASSPATH=;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\li
                    b\tools.jar;C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\run.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set JBOSS_CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\lib\too
                    ls.jar;C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin\run.jar

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem Setup JBoss specific properties

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>set JAVA_OPTS= -Dprogram.name=run.bat

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07\bin\java" -version 2>&1
                    | findstr /I hotspot 1>nul
                    'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
                    operable program or batch file.

C:\jboss-4.2.2\bin>

• 7. Re: newbie - JBoss
                      Peter Johnson Master

Note this:

'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You are encountering the findstr problem. See http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/FindstrCommandNotFound.

As an alternative, you can comment out the lines in run.bat that use findstr:

rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported
                      rem "%JAVA%" -version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot > nul
                      rem if not errorlevel == 1 (set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server)

• 8. Re: newbie - JBoss
                        rob velasquez Newbie

"PeterJ" wrote:
                        Note this:

'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You are encountering the findstr problem. See http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/FindstrCommandNotFound.

As an alternative, you can comment out the lines in run.bat that use findstr:

rem Add -server to the JVM options, if supported
                        rem "%JAVA%" -version 2>&1 | findstr /I hotspot > nul
                        rem if not errorlevel == 1 (set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -server)

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. The server started but I had another problem with MBeans. Could you please guide me.

--- MBEANS THAT ARE THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM ---
                        ObjectName: jboss:service=Naming
                        State: FAILED
                        Reason: java.rmi.server.ExportException: Port already in use: 1098; nested exc
                        eption is:
                        java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
                        I Depend On:
                        jboss.system:service=ThreadPool
                        jboss:service=NamingBeanImpl
                        Depends On Me:
                        jboss.mq:service=DestinationManager
                        jboss.mq:service=Invoker
                        jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL
                        jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UILXA
                        jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL2,alias=UIL2ConnectionFactory
                        jboss.mq:service=InvocationLayer,type=UIL2XA,alias=UIL2XAConnectionFactory
                        jboss.jms:alias=QueueConnectionFactory
                        jboss.jms:alias=TopicConnectionFactory
                        jboss.jmx:type=adaptor,name=Invoker,protocol=jrmp,service=proxyFactory
                        jboss.jmx:alias=jmx/rmi/RMIAdaptor
                        jboss:service=Mail

at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.checkIncompleteDeployments(MainDepl
                        oyer.java:1385)
                        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:785)
                        at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:766)
                        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
                        java:39)
                        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
                        sorImpl.java:25)
                        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
                        at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatch
                        er.java:155)
                        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94)
                        at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractIntercept
                        or.java:133)
                        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88)
                        at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelM
                        BeanOperationInterceptor.java:142)
                        at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88)
                        at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.
                        java:264)
                        at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659)
                        at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:210)
                        at $Proxy5.deploy(Unknown Source)
                        at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.doStart(ServerImpl.java:482)
                        at org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl.start(ServerImpl.java:362)
                        at org.jboss.Main.boot(Main.java:200)
                        at org.jboss.Main$1.run(Main.java:508)
                        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
                        18:54:36,039 INFO [Http11Protocol] Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-127.0.0.1-8
                        18:54:36,054 INFO [AjpProtocol] Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-127.0.0.1-8009
                        18:54:36,070 INFO [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.2.2.GA (build: SVNTag=JBos
                        s_4_2_2_GA date=200710221139)] Started in 15s:813ms

• 10. Re: newbie - JBoss
                          rob velasquez Newbie

Thank you Peter for all your help.. JBoss started without any errors

• 11. Re: newbie - JBoss
                            Peter Johnson Master

You are welcome. I'm glad that you are up and running.