0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 2:10 PM by brent.atkinson

JBoss5 - Legacy applications and descriptor compatibility

Hi,

I am an long-time JBoss AS 4 user and I having a bit of trouble deciphering my deployment issues on JBoss AS 5. What I am finding is that the JBoss specific deployment descriptors are causing the deployers to reject the deployments. The error that they are exhibiting is:

Caused by: org.jboss.xb.binding.JBossXBRuntimeException: -1:-1 94:3 The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.
       at org.jboss.xb.binding.sunday.unmarshalling.XsdBinderTerminatingErrorHandler.handleError(XsdBinderTerminatingErrorHandler.java:40)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaLoader.reportDOMFatalError(Unknown Source)
       at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XSLoaderImpl.load(Unknown Source)
       at org.jboss.xb.binding.Util.loadSchema(Util.java:395)
       at org.jboss.xb.binding.sunday.unmarshalling.XsdBinder.bind(XsdBinder.java:175)
       at org.jboss.xb.binding.sunday.unmarshalling.XsdBinder.bind(XsdBinder.java:146)
       at org.jboss.xb.binding.sunday.unmarshalling.DefaultSchemaResolver.resolve(DefaultSchemaResolver.java:332)
       ... 51 more

I searched google and the JBoss community resources wiki/documentation/forums and the only reference I found to this indicates issues with poorly formed documents. However, I have checked the structure and validated the document with the specified DTD.

An example document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
      <!DOCTYPE jboss PUBLIC "-//JBoss//DTD JBOSS 2.4//EN" "http://www.jboss.org/j2ee/dtd/jboss_2_4.dtd">
      <jboss>
       <enterprise-beans>
       <session>
       <ejb-name>MyBean</ejb-name>
       <jndi-name>ejb/MyBean</jndi-name>
       <resource-ref>
       <res-ref-name>jdbc/EntityDB</res-ref-name>
       <jndi-name>java:jdbc/EntityDB</jndi-name>
       </resource-ref>
       </session>
       </enterprise-beans>
       <resource-managers>
       </resource-managers>
      </jboss>

Does anyone know why is JBoss 5 kicking this out? I have successfully deployed the application components by removing the DTD declarations altogether, but I'd really like to get to the root cause of the issue.

Does JBoss 5 not support the legacy DTDs? If not, then why are they included in the docs/dtds directory of the installation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brent