4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2004 1:35 PM by bcannon

Single vs. Multiple JVMs

bcannon

The J2EE & EJB specs permit a J2EE server to implement a web container, ejb container, and, indeed, separate instances of beans within the same EJB container in multiple JVM instances.

Our current usage of JBoss (v3.2.1 w/Tomcat) suggests that the JBoss implementation places all containers & beans into a single JVM. However, I haven't been able to find any documentation confirming (or denying) that this is the current JBoss architecture.

With this version of JBoss, are we guaranteed that the Web container and EJB container will be executed within a single JVM? If not, under what conditions might multiple JVMs be used?

-Brian

• 1. Re: Single vs. Multiple JVMs
          peter_f

The conditions for multiple JVMs to be used is when U would configure it so !!! ... again if U are AMERICAN ... U might need to read the CONVENTION !!! ... before trying to implement !!! with success !!! ...

xo

• 2. Re: Single vs. Multiple JVMs
            bcannon

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

I've been looking and haven't found where the number of JVMs gets configured (BTW: my current setup does not need or use clustering).

Any help pointing me to where I can configure this would be appreciated.

BTW: I wasn't sure what was referrred to be "the Convention". Did this mean the documentation? I've been reading that and haven't found what I'm looking for so far.

Thanks again.
            -Brian

• 3. Re: Single vs. Multiple JVMs
              peter_f

U need some advanced help ... right ? ...

• 4. Re: Single vs. Multiple JVMs
                bcannon

I don't know (advanced or basic). I assumed from your first reply that configuring JBoss for one vs multiple JVMs was a simple matter of setting a configuration value somewhere - but I haven't been able to find it or any documentation about it.

I'll gratefully accept any help that is offered.

-Brian