3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2003 12:20 PM by Viet

module access permissions

mdt Newbie

Hi,

Are there any ways to store access permissions in the database rather than in the jboss-service.xml flat file?

If I have to edit this file and redeploy the nukes core every time I want to deploy and expose a new module, it kind of defeats the purpose of having modules as hot-deployable.

• 1. Re: module access permissions
          Viet Master

I understand your pain, but actually now the module core stores its attributes in the database in the service_attributes table. so you can edit the line containing it and the changes are persisted.

which versions of nukes are you using ?

in cvs you have access to the nukes JMX console which is better to edit xml files through it.

someone should do the security module which provides a user friendly GUI to edit these.

julien

• 2. Re: module access permissions
            mdt Newbie

Great, so the permissions are stored in the database. I'm running the cvs version and didn't realise it. Couldn't edit the xml file through the jmx-console though as the field was a read only java list on the core mbean. I agree that a gui is required, but do you think that storing the permissions in a file structure like this is scalable? I may be interested in building a gui once I've finished evaluating nukes. The main attraction to nukes for me is its hot-deployment capabilities.

murray.

• 3. Re: module access permissions
              Viet Master

it's okay with storing nuke configuration JMX attributes like this.

1.these attributes does not need to scale, they are just plain configuration.

2.storing an XML file in a field is sufficient as long as the process is done correctly. we have the strongness of db transaction and the file is validated for wellformedness with a parser and stored with an xml serializer.

3.storing them as text is important for an administrator so he can manually edit the file in the database.

julien