5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2007 3:15 PM by julien1

Virtual Hosts

I found an old discussion on virtual hosts and JBoss Portal. Has this been worked out yet? I have one server but host 4 domains and would like to use JBoss Portal to run all of them on the same server. Each domain needs to be able to have its own theme, security, pages, ect....

If it is not implemented it would be a very powerful thing for domain hosts to offer their clients.

• 1. Re: Virtual Hosts

I think it could be part of the 2.6.4 release.

• 2. Re: Virtual Hosts
            theute

In the old thread i already mentioned my fear that this is useless without the notion of community.

Each portal can already have its own theme, security and pages. With the URLFactory you can already do what you are talking about. Now if you want separate groups of users (one per domain) it would not be possible at the moment. It would require refactoring that cannot be achieve in 2.6.x for backward compatibility.

Feel free to complete and add your thoughts on the different threads started on the subject.

• 3. Re: Virtual Hosts

Actually you're right. Nevertheless we could make an example and make it an technical article in the doc or in the blog.

"thomas.heute@jboss.com" wrote:
              In the old thread i already mentioned my fear that this is useless without the notion of community.

Each portal can already have its own theme, security and pages. With the URLFactory you can already do what you are talking about. Now if you want separate groups of users (one per domain) it would not be possible at the moment. It would require refactoring that cannot be achieve in 2.6.x for backward compatibility.

Feel free to complete and add your thoughts on the different threads started on the subject.

• 4. Re: Virtual Hosts

If it is possible to get virtual hosts working by 2.6.4 without the seperate user type stuff, I am perfectly happy with that as I can make it work in my situation. However, to make it work for a web hosting type of company you would need the separate users for separate domains type of structure.

• 5. Re: Virtual Hosts

you should look at the CommandFactory / URLFactory in the core of jboss portal that create portal commands and portal urls for the portal.

here you can create your own factories to leverage the domain names.

"thepriz" wrote:
                  If it is possible to get virtual hosts working by 2.6.4 without the seperate user type stuff, I am perfectly happy with that as I can make it work in my situation. However, to make it work for a web hosting type of company you would need the separate users for separate domains type of structure.