I will report that the source code I downloaded from sourceforge just now built and deployed without any problems.
See the 1.3.0 link "Tutorial-1.3.0.zip" I thought it was just a ziped version of the Tutorial PDF not the source code for the example - another example of poor naming.
So I'm convenced that since I didn't follow the tutorial - "to the letter". That there is some small "mistake" in my source - most likly some XDoclet tag that is causing this deployment exception.
I have some good news - my example is now working!!! :)
Here's some of the things I found wrong in my code:
* typos in the application.xml in the DOCTYPE line
* typos in XDoclet Packaging Configuration for FiboEJB.jar the folder "/Tutorial/bin" has include filter: "tutorial/ejb/*.classes, tutorial/interfaces/*.class"
I had "ejd" - close but no cigar!
* checking the FiboEJB.jar - it was missing the FiboBean.class - DUH!
I'm not real sure but I also used the XDoclet Standard Configuration for EJBs - on the popup menu when you add a XDoclet configuration. These add in a large set of XDoclet processes/task that are not included in the Tutorial's config - I removed these (even though they were blank) these default sets of task may have create some issues for me.
Hope this help someone else...