3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2005 12:57 PM by mmonks

Problem accessing servlet when running JBoss through Eclipse

mmonks

Hi,

I have recently installed the JBoss Eclipse IDE (version JBossIDE-1.5RC1) so that I can run and debug JBoss within Eclipse (version 3.1.1). The plugin seems to work fine - I can start and stop Eclipse with no problem.

I have a sample web app that uses the Spring framework MVC, and comprises a very simple "Hello World" type of servlet. When I start JBoss outside of Eclipse, I can access the servlet with no problem on http://localhost:8080. However, when I am running JBoss within Eclipse and trying to debug, I hit the URL for the servlet and nothing happens. My browser just sits there forever, and no debugging information appears in the JBoss console within Eclipse.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks,
      Matt.

• 1. Re: Problem accessing servlet when running JBoss through Ecl
          mmonks

Forgot to say - I'm deploying my web app using an Ant script, so I'm creating an EAR file that contains a WAR and then dropping that in the depoy folder of JBoss. I'm not using Eclipse to package anything up. Not sure if that makes any difference...?

Thanks,
          Matt.

• 2. Re: Problem accessing servlet when running JBoss through Ecl
            mmonks

I've also realised that a standard servlet works fine - its only when I try and use Spring MVC that I have the problem.

Thanks,
            Matt.

• 3. Re: Problem accessing servlet when running JBoss through Ecl
              mmonks

If anyone's interested, I found the problem. For some reason it was debugging (hence why it looked like it was hanging), but Eclipse did not show that it was debugging in anyway - did not highlight breakpoints etc. It was only when I actually opened up the "Debug" view that Eclipse suddenly realised it was supposed to be debugging, and hey presto - breakpoints worked and I could step through the code. Very weird, as this problem does not happen unless I'm accessing a Spring servlet...