10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2006 12:39 PM by lpmon

IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped

lpmon

I just upgraded to IDE 2.0. When I used the server view to start a server it starts just fine. But, the server view plugin does not detect that it has started. Its status is: 'starting..' No big deal right. But after a while something kills the server process. Presumably the IDE assumed something was wrong and decided to kill the java process. Amusingly: If I use the server view to stop the server (before something else does) it successfuly stops it.

I see this in the error log when I start it:

eclipse.buildId=M20060629-1905
      java.version=1.5.0_07
      java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
      Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

Timeout waiting for JBOSS 4.0 4 to start. Server did not start after 50s.

I found a setup option that gives you the ability to 'mark as started' if there is a timeout at startup. I have that set.

Suggestions??

• 1. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
          rob.stryker

Try the following (to get some more info):

Open the JBoss Server View and the Properties View so you can see both. Start the server, and in the JBoss Server View, expand the Event log and see what happens. There should be an element added that says "Starting Server" or something of the like, and if you expand that, there should be several children.

The children should also have properties associated with them. If you click on the children, the properties view should show additional information.

• 2. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
            lpmon

Thanks for the quick reply Rob.

The only entry in the event log is:

"Timeout waiting for JBOSS 4.0 4 to start. Server did not start after 50s. "

There is no log entry for 'Starting...'

I forgot to mention I also get a dialog box warning with this same message.

I found a place to set server timeout to 'Longer' but that seems to have no effect. (still 50s).

• 3. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
              rob.stryker

Can you provide a screenshot of some sort? After trying to start up, the view should look something like the following:

http://oxbeef.net/image/code/serversviewss.JPG

• 4. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                lpmon

Thanks again Rob.

I figured it out. I did not go to the optional server setup to indicate I was using non-standard ports (ports-03). I bet the IDE was looking for the server at the standard ports. Looks like there is a new way to detect the server because I have been using ports-03 before. (or I forgot I did this port setup last time)

What I mention below is not causing me a problem problem but:

There are no properties of any kind displayed. Nothing ever shows in the second server view status window (might call it the status window) where the modules, event log, ... are. I do have them enabled under preferences/JBoss IDE/Servers/view.

See: http://www.equipmentmonitors.net/serverview.JPG

Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                  rob.stryker

By looking at your image, it's clear that you're not actually using the new JBoss AS Server implementation. You're using the webtools implementation. (You have a standard server icon next to your server, whereas in my image there's a JBoss icon.)

When creating a new server, you will see two folders: JBoss, and JBoss Inc. JBoss Inc. is the proper folder to use.

• 6. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                    lpmon

Thanks,

I see the difference when I used the JBoss, Inc. I did not even notice it earlier. But, Now I find no place to change the ports to look at ports-03 with this new one so I am back to where I was! It is not detecting the that the server has started.

• 7. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                      rob.stryker

Please explain further what you mean by starting with nonstandard ports. Are you changing the ports in the descriptor files? Or are you trying to change the ports via the command line arguments? More information there would be very helpful.

Also, to figure out why it's not showing as started, you should expand the event log and open the properties view and see what information you can find there.

Finally, selecting window -> preferences, and then the JBoss Eclipse IDE element (on the left), JBoss Servers element, and then selecting the created server (you must select it first), and THEN change the startup or shutdown timeouts, and what action to take upon timeout.

Hope all of that helps.

• 8. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                        lpmon

About the ports.

In conf/jboss-service.xml I am using ports-03:

ports-03
                        ${jboss.home.url}/server/port-bindings.xml

Meaning ports shift from #0## to #3## (like 8380 for http).

I have now learned that If I remove this and use standard ports my problem goes away. The IDE detects the server has started and all is well.

When I am not using the standard ports I see "twiddle server is down" many times in the log you wanted me to look at.

I know the solution I just cannot kind find where to make the change to the ports.

When I use the new server tool (under JBoss Inc.) I cannot find a place to change the ports. The older server definition tool (not under JBoss Inc, just plain 'JBoss') has the property panel like the one shown here:

http://www.equipmentmonitors.net/serverports.JPG

It allows you to define the jndi port and the http port being used which apparently is key to detecting the presence of the server (makes sense).

Thanks for your help on this Rob. I am not 'stopped' any longer and don't need any more help. If this port setup panel is missing from the new 'JBoss Inc' server tool hopefully it can be added later. If it is there now let me know how to get to it.

• 9. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                          rob.stryker

Ok I have another solution for you, but some explanation.

If you open your JBoss Servers View (put it on the bottom left) and the Properties View (put it below the editor area), and then in the JBoss Servers View, expand "Descriptor Xpaths" and select "Ports", the properties view will fill up.

In the properties view you can then directly edit all sorts of properties / xpaths in your various descriptors. You can also add your own categories (other than ports) and define your own xpaths to easily modify ANY xpath in any of your descriptors quickly.

However... ... I do not think twiddle (the polling mechanism I use to see if the server is up or down) will recognize "ports-03" yet, so you will have to use the preference window's JBoss IDE -> JBoss Servers section, select the server, set the timeout to be very low (only a few seconds), and then say upon timeout, set server as started.

This will essentially forego the polling mechanism (or short-circuit it) and just set the server to started.

Hopefully you'll find my xpath / ports editor useful =D

• 10. Re: IDE cannot detect JBoss started, then JBoss is stopped
                            lpmon

Thanks for all the help.

You guys are doing a great job and have a great tool set.