4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2006 5:53 PM by kstretch

Does JBossIDE2.0.0 Beta2 support EJB3 Project deployment

The title says it all. I have jboss4.0.5 installed with ejb3 support and the latest version of eclipse 3.2.1 and JBoss IDE. Having added the server I cannot add an EJB3 project to the server, I get the message that "there are no projects that can be added or removed from the server". All the jboss libraries are present in the project including the ejb3 jars.

If I create a a J2EE project and include my EJB3 project in it I can then add the J2EE project to the server I get a bit further but I guess this is not the way it should be done as I get error boxes with fault messages in them.

A clear example of the steps required if this is in fact possible would be hugely welcome.

This is a shame as I can do all of these things with the myEclipse jboss server plug in.

Regards

/Dominic

• 1. Re: Does JBossIDE2.0.0 Beta2 support EJB3 Project deployment
          rob.stryker

Howdy!

I realize this post is a little late (4 days after) but I'll try to answer your question.

Right now: no ;) You can still use the older functionality of our packaging plugin to generate the ejb.jar for your project, and then right-click on the jar and run-on-server to deploy it.

I'm currently re-working our ejb3.0 support so that it behaves more like a webtools web project or ejb project and you can add/remove from server.

This should be out in the next release.

• 2. Re: Does JBossIDE2.0.0 Beta2 support EJB3 Project deployment
            rob.stryker

Add to Ear will not work until I get a response from someone on the wtp boards as to how to ensure the hidden wtp module files get the accurate info in them. I've simply not been able to track down those APIs.

In general it "works" but what does it do really? It's just a remake of the old ejb3 with little to no added functionality. It just uses the same type of window for creating a new ejb3 project as for other webtools type projects.

Add to server / remove from server right now still doesn't work but that's a conscious choice rather than a flaw. It'd be trivial for me to add it, but I'm kind of waiting for Marshall's packaging so I can start integrating new things with new things from the start rather than have it support some old hack way of doing things and then remove it in a week.

The only thing preventing the add to server / remove from server, right now, is some default packaging for the run-on-server. Like I said... trivial. Right now I'm strength-testing with a lot of the ejb3.0 tutorials to make sure everything works and I don't run into any snags. I keep running into snags for various things ;)

(I know... you're wondering what snags can one run into when all I've made is some a new project type... but in webtools, snags abound. And also, I've never really done j2ee dev so I'm teaching myself and making tons of stupid novice mistakes along the way. )

I'll have more news in a day or two I guess.

• 3. Re: Does JBossIDE2.0.0 Beta2 support EJB3 Project deployment
              hanland

Thanks for the updates and keep us posted.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Does JBossIDE2.0.0 Beta2 support EJB3 Project deployment
                kstretch

Not sure if this is related but...

I just upgraded from 3.1/1.6 to 3.2.1/2.0B

Took me a while but I think I have everything running again (well almost)
                I had to set the server name to the same server name as in my old workspace and restart eclipse (Before restaring eclipse, selecting on the server name/finish had no effect). After that the JBOSS EJB Libraries [error] switched to the name of my server and compiled correctly.

However now the "deploy" option doesn't show up and I have to manually copy the jar files into my deployment directory.

As well in "Server View" it wants a "Configuration Path" which is currently set to "/Servers/depName/" and eclipse keeps trying to create this new project (which I delete). Trying to "Browse" it only allows me to select one project and none of my projects seem to be valid. Further it only allows me to select one project at a time and I have multiple projects that all use the same server.

If I try "Add and Remove Projects" on the server I get "there are no projects that can be added or removed from the server"

For now it works... I just hope someone is working on this "gotcha"!