I read a bug about something similar on bugs.eclipse.org. It seems the user there was using the webtools "generic server" adapter for JBoss, which is not what we use here. We use a custom server adapter.
I suspect strongly you're using the same thing.
The only thing I can think of to help you is that there is probably, somewhere in your plugins folder, a jboss-related xml file which the generic server uses to configure ports and such.
The folder should be something like: eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.jst.server.generic.jboss_1.5.1.v200609140551\servers\jboss.serverdef
But, we suggest you use JBoss IDE instead ;)
If I'm wrong and you're not using the generic jboss server, feel free to respond. (You can tell by watching which category you create your server in. JBoss vs JBoss Inc. JBoss Inc. is the one we create / support. JBoss is provided by webtools.)
Thanks for the response.
Actually I think this might have been an install error on my part. I moved my JBoss AS install aside and used the Windows installer to install a fresh copy. I got past that error and then got a problem with Authentication failing. Same thing happened from the command line. Searching this forum I found a fix where I can comment out some lines of XML in the jmx-invoker-service.xml file.
Now it's all good.