8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2007 6:06 PM by shawnsmsu

J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?

shawnsmsu

I have tried both JBossIDE 1.6GA and 2.0Beta. Neither shows a proper J2EE Perspective. When I'm in that perspective it displays items as the Java Perspective does. Even the J2EE Perspective button looks different than the regular one with the bean.

I believe because of this, when I use the deploy-to feature, my web application does not follow the correct folder structure to properly deploy on JBoss.

Thanks,
      Shawn

Running Eclipse 3.2 and JBoss 4.0.3

• 1. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
          shawnsmsu

Forgot to add, I also brought down JBossIDE (both versions) from the update site on a version of Eclipse that already had a working J2EE perspective. This instance now does not give me the "deploy-to" feature or allow me to debug with JBoss.

• 2. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
            maxandersen

"Neither shows a proper J2EE perspective"

What does that mean ?
            The J2EE perspective is from WTP so have a hard time understanding what not "proper" means ?

• 3. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
              rob.stryker

The webtools j2ee perspective also does not ever, and should not now, include a "deploy to" option anywhere in it. It instead uses the server view, and actions such as the "Run On Server" action.

• 4. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
                shawnsmsu

Max, typically the J2EE perspective displays the folder contents in a J2EE format (i.e. WEB-INF & index.html at the top level) but this is displaying the folder structures as they're structured in CVS. The deploy-to feature then copies them in that structure and JBoss is unable to load the app correctly.

Rob, thanks for clearing that up. "deploy-to" must be a 1.6 feature that was replaced in 2.0 by "run on server"?

• 5. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
                  maxandersen

The J2EE perspective does that if your projects are WTP projects. Are they ?

• 6. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
                    shawnsmsu

No, not using WTP

• 7. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
                      maxandersen

Ok so now I'm confused :)

Could you please show me a screenshot of what you say were available in earlier versions that now is removed ?

• 8. Re: J2EE perspective in JBossIDE?
                        shawnsmsu

I just reread your question above, is WTP solely responsible for the J2EE perspective? I thought it was a separate component of Eclipse. Which I haven't knowingly installed.

I just looked back at my original Eclipse instance and noticed it doesn't restructure the project in J2EE perspective -- I must have been thinking of WebSphere Studio (which is really just 500 plug-ins on top of Eclipse).

Regardless, the 1.6GA version of JBossIDE isn't deploying my application with the correct folder structure, and 2.0Beta is having errors when trying to create a new JBoss 4.0 server.

At this point, I think it'll be easier to just debug by having JBoss listen for a remote start and just build, redeploy to see changes.

Vielen Dank!!