9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 6:09 AM by maxandersen

Packaging support?

snarff

I've been playing around with the JBoss Tools in Eclipse, but I cannot seem to find anything about packaging support. I can export an EJB Jar file, I can deploy it, but I still need to manually choose a jar file name and location. That is, the tools don't seem to add anything to my ant scripts.

I'm missing the 'packaging configurations' item in the Project properties, which seems useful in this respect. Is the JBoss plugin just limited in its functionality, or am I overlooking something?

• 1. Re: Packaging support?
          rob.stryker

Are you using the Project Archives view?

This view can deploy in an exploded or packaged format, and perform incremental updates automatically without you having to select and deploy each and every time.

• 2. Re: Packaging support?
            maxandersen

...and if you use WTP projects things are also packaged automatically (assuming you deployed it to a server by using e.g. Run As > Run on Server)

• 3. Re: Packaging support?
              rob.stryker

Just to elaborate on what Max said:

If you're using WTP projects *AND* the auto-deployer is enabled (Window -> Preferences -> Server, Automatically publish to servers every x seconds), then it'll be automatically incrementally deployed.

OTHERWISE, if you're using WTP projects, you will need to click the "Publish" icon in either the Servers View or the JBoss Servers View.

Hope this provides a little bit more information.

• 4. Re: Packaging support?
                snarff

"rob.stryker@jboss.com" wrote:
                Are you using the Project Archives view?

This view can deploy in an exploded or packaged format, and perform incremental updates automatically without you having to select and deploy each and every time.

Hadn't discovered it yet: thanks for the hint. What do you mean by 'deploy in an exploded or packaged format'?

Also, I wonder why I have to write the jboss.xml myself. Am I overlooking something else?

• 5. Re: Packaging support?
                  rob.stryker

"deploy in an exploded or packaged format" means as follows:

JBoss can read and deploy either a jar file, or an unzipped jar file by the same name. Deploying it unzipped allows you to update files that are static and should not require a re-compilation and re-packaging... such as an image or an html, txt, or jsp page.

• 6. Re: Packaging support?
                    sw79

I also missing the packaging support of the JBoss Tools. The packaging and deployment from the Project Archives view works fine, but only from Eclipse. But if I have a build management system such as CruiseControl, LuntBuild etc., which gets the project sources from SVN, and builds and deploys the system automatically using an Ant script or Maven's Project Object Model, it would be nice if these things would be generated automatically. Does JBoss Tools any support of auto-generating of the build scripts, similar as Eclipse IDE automatically generates Ant scripts for Eclipse Plugin Projects?

• 7. Re: Packaging support?
                      maxandersen

I don't belive much in generating more artifacts...but I do belive in better integration ;)

Look up http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/FastAndIncrementalPackagingInJBossTools for the current options - there is an example of the current ant integration.

• 8. Re: Packaging support?
                        klob

"max.andersen@jboss.com" wrote:
                        I don't belive much in generating more artifacts...but I do belive in better integration ;)

Look up http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/FastAndIncrementalPackagingInJBossTools for the current options - there is an example of the current ant integration.

Given all of the above, I would like to work and deploy locally in an expanded EAR form, to take advantage of the wizard support, etc. But when my project needs to be deployed, I would like to generate an updated ANT build file for the deployment group, which assumes that they have gotten the code out of sccs in expanded form. Eclipse allows you to export an ANT build.xml file for all projects except the EAR itself. Would you then manually write a build.xml for the EAR that called the build.xml for the projects, or is there some better way?

• 9. Re: Packaging support?
                          maxandersen

currently manually writing the build.xml is the best way.