7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2008 10:51 AM by mcrandall

Server startup slow

mcrandall

I'm using JBOSS server 4.2.2 GA, SEAM framework 2.0.1 GA in an Eclipse IDE (3.3.1.1). Whenever I start up my application server in the IDE (and my project EAR), it takes about 40 minutes. The console reports that the server started (that only takes less than a minute) but in the Servers view, the status is "starting" and changes to started in about 40 minutes.

Any insight/help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Server startup slow
          rob.stryker

If you could try looking at the JBoss Server's View, select your server, and expand hte Event Log item.

Inside there, you'll see things like the attempt at startup and what's going on. In order to tell when the server is up or down, the plugin tries to use JMX to contact the server and ask it if it's started.

If no connection can be made (minimal configuration?) then JMX is not installed on your JBoss configuration and this will always fail. You'll have to go to window -> preferences -> JBoss Servers, select your server, and hcange the startup poller to Timeout Poller. You can then adjust the timeout duration and behavior to something else.

If you are not using a minimal configuration, then you need to make sure your username / password are set in your server. Double-click your server to open the server editor and declare your JMX username nad password.

• 2. Re: Server startup slow
            mcrandall

Thanks for your response.

Under the Startup/Shutdown Events in the event log, it does show "Starting the server" and the number of minutes ago. I did change the startup poller to Timeout Poller and start the server, but the same slow server startup. Then I added JMX username and password but still slow startup. I don't recall if I installed as minimal configuration.

• 3. Re: Server startup slow
              mcrandall

FYI:

We are using the default configuration.

It looks like JMX is installed because I can get to the jmx-console. The MBean named org.jboss.system.server.ServerImpl says the Started attribute is True.

• 4. Re: Server startup slow
                maxandersen

Did you check if the server is actually ready ? It might just be the polling that is failing.

does the server respond to http request etc. ?
                What does the server log/console say ?

• 5. Re: Server startup slow
                  mcrandall

The console says:
                  10:30:52,001 INFO [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.2.2.GA (build: SVNTag=JBoss_4_2_2_GA date=200710221139)] Started in 19s:47ms

I can made a http request. However, in the Servers view, it still says "Starting". Takes about 40 minutes before the state changes to "Started". During that time, I can't made any changes to any files because it will be queued in the Progress view (until the server is "started").

• 6. Re: Server startup slow
                    rob.stryker

Are you sure you clicked on the appropriate server in the preference page before changing ti to the timeotu poller?

You'll have to change to the timeout poller AND lower the timeout to one that makes sense to you. Remember, the timeouts are in seconds. So change it to 30, or 15, or if that doesn't work, try 5. Then make sure to apply the changes.

Please get back to me if this doesn't work.

• 7. Re: Server startup slow
                      mcrandall

Thank you very much. I did need to change the startup poller to timeout poller and lower the timeout (to 30).