This sounds very familiar - I think you are hitting bugzilla 720456
Try this as a workaround - click the right mouse button over the resource node in the left hand tree - look at the Import menu option in the right-mouse context menu. What do you see? Do you see the resource types that you expect?
The workaround does not work. I get the same issue when using the menu in the left hand tree.
As Mazz said, I thought https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=720456 fixed the issue with server types not being listed, so I'm not sure why it's still not working for you.
Another bug related to manual import of servers that was fixed after RHQ 4.2 is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=751421. There's a possiblity the fix for that might also fix your issue. If you don't want to wait for 4.3 to be released, you could build HEAD of the RHQ master branch yourself and then see if the issue still exists.
Thanks to John an Ian for the quick answer. But the mentioned bugs don't fit to my problem.
I added two screenshots to show the problem.
The issues occurs after running the suite for some days without changes. I've checked already if the firewall is shut down and no antivirus software is active.
As the issue occured last time, a complete reinstall of all components works (with drop and create the database). But this is not the desired way.
So you are saying intitially you did see the server types listed on the Import menu, but then after running for a few days, they are no longer listed?
Did you try clearing your browser's cache and then relogging into the GUI, just to rule out browser caching?
Yes, this is correct. I saw the server types on the import menu initially and I can rule out the browser (tested with different machines)
Yesterday I've set up a new RHQ instance on a separate system (new Database schema etc) and over the night, the import menu has only two items (see screenshot above)
If needed, I can send you the agent and server logs from my last installation and test system.
Thanks. Someone else just reported the same issue in #rhq, so I think there's definitely a bug here. We will look into it and make sure it's fixed in 4.3. Thanks for letting us know!
Could you provide more informations like bug id?
When will be 4.3 released?
Since I have to install a RHQ environment in time, what is the best way to get it working? Should I install the 4.2 and wait for an update?
With 4.1 I could recognize the issue, too.
Currently I test it with Oracle 10g as database. It seems as if the error does not occur when using Postgresql (currently no option for me)
kai - you said you can replicate this on 4.1 and 4.2? I have not been able to replicate this. Can you write up a BZ with a set of replication steps/procedures that you do which can demonstrate the problem. I'll assign that BZ to me and look at it - I planned on looking at this problem today but I can't reproduce the problem.
Here's where you can create the bug report on bugzilla: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=RHQ%20Project
the error will occurs only after some time (the shortest time was over the night approx. 10h) and it seems if it depends on the version of Oracle. And yes, on both version I could recognize this issue.
Perhaps an useful information: I'm using the agent to monitor a JBoss 4.2.2 server.
I created BZ 789415
Edit: Added BZ
I have a similar issue, although things don't disappear, it's just my new plugin doesn't show up with the option to add a resource, though the plugin works otherwise. This is with the changes for 751097 applied to the 4.1 tree. (I assume I did this right, but hard to say.)
I'm going to test against my local server built off of master.
A workaround for you until 4.3 is released may be to use the CLI instead of the GUI to manually import servers. Here's a blog that describes how to do that: http://johnsanda.blogspot.com/2011/06/manually-add-resources-to-inventory.html
thanks for the link. This should work for me until the new version is released.
My test with Oracle 10g as backend runs fine since last weekend. It seems if the issue only occurs with Oracle 11g