I know in ECS, we've had a standards discussion about deep-linking between user guides. To cut a long story short, we agreed not to deep-link. You run the risk of links becoming dead when a book's structure changes. And it also becomes a real maintenance overhead. Unless someone can come up with a tool, as you suggest.
Consider using one of the following text formats consistently to suggest a reader looks at another user guide:
2) For more information about AsciiDoc, refer to the AsciiDoc _User Guide_
3) For more information about AsciiDoc, refer to the AsciiDoc 8.6.7 _User Guide_
4) For more information about Document Structure, refer to _Chapter 8: "Document Structure"_ of the AsciiDoc _User Guide_.
If your document URLs for your project are going to remain static for your project (such as hosted on Nexus in a consistent build location) then you *may* want to consider adding in a link to the book root, and (optionally) putting in an alias so the link is shorter.
For more information about AsciiDoc, refer to the AsciiDoc _User Guide_ at http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/userguide.html.
For more information about AsciiDoc, refer to the AsciiDoc 8.6.7 _User Guide_ at http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/userguide.html.
For more information about Inline URLs, refer to _21.1.1 URLs_ of the http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/userguide.html[AsciiDoc User Guide].
Any manual deep-linking deeper than that is just asking for trouble.
Hope it helps
Actually, I'm really within the same guide, but splitting up each chapter up into separate files.
As we don't use asciidoc to collect the chapters into a book (but instead use our guides plugin for awestruct - e.g. http://www.jboss.org/jdf/examples/ticket-monster/tutorial/WhatIsTicketMonster/) we hit the problem of resolving xrefs.
I think this needs more air time. I've tweeted the link to this forum post to see if we can get some traction on it for you, Pete.
In the end, I've just decided to make the links normal xrefs, and define a convention of <SourceFileNameWithoutExtension>-<LocationInDoc> as the id. I've then added a link rebuilder to our html reparse phase on the website, to recognise links in this format from AsciiDoc, and rebuild the link correctly.