As there is no dependency between the servers (if you use standalone mode) I suppose that your web application will force the shutdown if you stop the admin server.
What if you undeploy the *war?
Are you able to log and see the shutdown request in your app?
Thank you Wolf-Dieter!!! ... that pointed me in the right direction for sure!!
I tried the following series of steps and it worked for me:
- server A , starts server B by executing : "./standalone.sh -Djboss.node.name=serverB"
- a socket-binding port is changed on Server A via CLI and we are told it requires a reload.
- undeploy the *.war from server A by executing the CLI command for "undeploy serverA.war"
- execute a ":reload" command (this tends to take a little longer than a shutdown and restart in my environment, but its not that much of a concern).
- go back to serverB and it remains running with the same process ID, so no interruptions! (perfect!)
Thanks again Wolf!! I was thinking there was no way of doing this, but CLI in JBoss AS7 is very powerful indeed.
I hope this helps others as well.