1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 5:44 PM by dietice

Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as well as

asack

Easy question, as per spec the @Predestory lifecycle call should be called when the Session bean is undeployed.

Follow questoin, why when I undeploy an EJB @Stateless, the NamingContexts still remain in JNDI?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
          asack

Uggh, shall I file a JIRA incident on this?

• 2. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
            wolfc

I can't find anything in the spec about calling @PreDestroy on undeploy. Please let me know where it is stated.

Nevertheless I find the functionality very interesting, so I think you should open a JIRA issue. (Based on the specs it's either a feature request or a bug.)

• 3. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
              bill.burke

by default, we pool in a threadlocal variable. This is to avoid synchronization in very high thread loads. It is a common pattern. This is why predestroy is never called.

All you need to do is plug in your own pool implementation.

• 4. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                asack

Hi wolf and Bill (nice talk at JavaOne btw):

As per section 4.5.1 in the ejb-3_0-fr-spec-ejbcore entitled, "Stateless Session Bean State Diagram", see Figure 6. And I quote from the spec:

"When the container no longer needs the instance (usually when the container wants to reducethe number of instances in the method-ready pool), the container invokes the PreDestroy lifecycle callback interceptor methods for it, if any. This ends the life of the stateless session bean instance." [pg 85]

I would think undeployment would definitely fit under that statement.

Bill, with all due respect, I shouldn't have to plug anything in...that's your job! :D!

Also, why aren't naming contexts removed from JNDI space still? Is that expected behavior?

-aps

• 5. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                  asack

I can probably work around it too but I just want to understand the @Predestroy lifecycle callback a little bit better!

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                    wolfc

I still say some thought is needed.
                    Here I trick the thread pool into instantiating more objects (and subsequently destroying them). So even the thread pool calls pre destroy. Question remains what to do with that 1 instance that stays in the thread pool on undeploy...

deploy...
                    12:34:16,108 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] post construct org.jboss.ejb3.test.wolfc.StackedStatelessBean@6258e1
                    12:34:16,109 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] 2 is invoking next one
                    12:34:16,112 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] post construct org.jboss.ejb3.test.wolfc.StackedStatelessBean@fadb88
                    12:34:16,114 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] 1 is invoking next one
                    12:34:16,114 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] post construct org.jboss.ejb3.test.wolfc.StackedStatelessBean@183aedf
                    12:34:16,114 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] I'm done
                    12:34:16,114 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] pre destroy org.jboss.ejb3.test.wolfc.StackedStatelessBean@fadb88
                    12:34:16,116 INFO [StackedStatelessBean] pre destroy org.jboss.ejb3.test.wolfc.StackedStatelessBean@6258e1
                    undeploy...

• 7. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                      asack

I mean at the bare minimum, if you UNDEPLOY your stateless session bean, @PreDestory needs to be called. My question is @PreDestory meant to be a per instance of a bean or when the entire pool is destroyed you call the @PreDestory....I'm not sure what the spec group was thinking here with respect to Stateless (Statefule beans I believe the meaning is clearer).

• 8. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                        mazz

You misspelled that so often I began thinking "what the hell is this PreDestory annotation? I never heard of it, I need to look that up"... even the subject misspells it :)

• 9. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                          bill.burke

you cannot extract all instances stored in a ThreadLocal. Write another pool if you do not like this behavior.

• 10. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                            bill.burke

it is our implementation not the spec.

• 11. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                              asack

"mazz@jboss.com" wrote:
                              You misspelled that so often I began thinking "what the hell is this PreDestory annotation? I never heard of it, I need to look that up"... even the subject misspells it :)

Yeah, whoops, damn, weird....I mean PREDESTROY, sorry! :D Just frustrated with this behavior...

• 12. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                                asack

"bill.burke@jboss.com" wrote:
                                it is our implementation not the spec.

Great...you do realize Bill that's about the worse possible position to take. Why have the spec then? I thought one of JBoss's main tenets is to be spec compliant. Its bad enough different implementations of a Java EE platform require odd packaging rules (and classloading issues).

Look I don't mean to be a royal pain, but c'mon man...I'm going to reverse the question and say why doesn't JBoss come with a pool implementation that honors this behavior in the spec instead of asking the Java EE developer to write it?

Bill, the JBoss EJB3 implementation is really great, that's why I care.

Btw, what about NamingContexts? Why the heck do they still remain after undeployment? Is this a tracked bug already or another implementation thing? :D!

• 13. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                                  wolfc

@PreDestroy works per instance (EJB3 4.5.1 last paragraph)

• 14. Re: Why isn't @Predestory honored in @Stateless beans as wel
                                    asack

"wolfc" wrote:
                                    @PreDestroy works per instance (EJB3 4.5.1 last paragraph)

Now when you undeploy an application (which in effect should tear down the various instances in the session, no?)...though with that said I do realize that after reading the above paragraph, I suppose application undeployment is a gray area and Bill has choosen a reasonable implementation design decision.

I was just stating that ARCHITECTURALLY speaking undeployment of the entire application should cause the container to still honor the lifecycle mgmt callbacks in the spec during tear down. That's all.

1 2 Previous Next