1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2006 8:51 AM by kukeltje

how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

onizuka82

Hi there

I am a newbie in here. I am currently doing my final year project in a company.

I have installed the starter kit and tried the 'Getting Started Guide'. Starter kit contains all the configuration and can be used immediately after installation. It marvelous. Now, i would like to move on to another stage from here.I am trying to embeded the jBPM(without the starter kit) in a real environment. Does the environment need to have database and application server in order for it to work.

What actually must i do in order to get the jBPM engine working(deploy)?

Hope that any kind of samaritain will help me on this.

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
          kukeltje

Anyone wil help if you have problems that go beyond this. The question you as ik addressed in one of the first paragraphs of docs.

• 2. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
            onizuka82

Hi

First of all, thank you for your fast reply. I have already downloaded the jBPM core engine, but i am sure on what is the next step to do after this. Sorry for the trouble as this is my first time doing programming.

I want to deploy the jBPM core engine. Is it i just need an application server and database. Do i need to install the the AS and Db first then only installed the jBPM core engine?

Is there any guidelines for me to follow. I am really new in here so sorry for any ignorance.

Thank you sir.

• 3. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

At least you tried to download the manuals, search the web (remember, Google is your friend!), read the Wikis??????.

What you're looking for is in the http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JbpmGettingStarted.

Regards.

BTW, your problem is not about this being your first programming project; you need to use the SEARCH function, as we can't (and won't) use it for you.

• 4. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

Also, what you're asking is WELL DOCUMENTED in the MANUAL; there is a whole chapter about configuration of jBPM. I alredy tried it and works with no problem (btw, yes, you need to create the DB, but it is also documented where to find scripts for different DB vendors).

Regards.

• 5. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                  onizuka82

Thank you sir.

I have read the manual but i dont understand the them but i will read it again.

Thanks for your guide.

• 6. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

If you come with more specific questions, I'll be glad to help as far as I can.

Regards.

• 7. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                      onizuka82

Hi,

First of thank you for your reply and guidance.

i have already intalled the Jboss AS and mySQL database. How can i deploy the jBPM engine. I have build the ANT. Do we need to put the jbpm.jar files and jbpm.war files?

In Apache, we must pust the jbpm.war files onto the webapps but in Jboss AS, where must we put?

Can jbpm core engine running standalone?

Thank you sir.

• 8. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

"onizuka82" wrote:

i have already intalled the Jboss AS and mySQL database. How can i deploy the jBPM engine. I have build the ANT. Do we need to put the jbpm.jar files and jbpm.war files?

In order to install jbpm, follow these instructions (Alex Guizar's message): http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=74781

By the way, when you say "I ... installed mySQL", you mean that you already installed jBPM in a mySQL database? If not, refer to section 8.1 in the manual.

Remember (as Alex Guizar already said) that you don't install jbpm.war, but jbpm.sar (the task build.service.archive will build it for you).

"onizuka82" wrote:

In Apache, we must pust the jbpm.war files onto the webapps but in Jboss AS, where must we put?

Once you have the jbpm.sar file, copy it in the <jboss-dir>/server/default/deploy.

"onizuka82" wrote:

Can jbpm core engine running standalone?

I haven't tried yet, buy since tests run standalone (you can see tests that create, load, save, reload processes) I guess the answer is yes.

BTW, this is the last question I answer you about JBoss, since this is a VERY basic question; you NEED to read your JBoss manual, or else go to the JBoss newbies forum. Be aware, this forum does NOT exist so you can relax while others do your work; you need to do your own work (read, research, test, etc.).

I think you don't understand the purpose of forums, so, take a look at the next page http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html before asking any other question.

Regards.

• 9. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                          onizuka82

Thank you sir,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I am sorry if I ask to many silly question. I have done a lot of research but it is just that i dont really understand. I am trying very hard as I am stuck in this problem for quite some time and my deadline final year project for an sponsored based company is getting nearer.

Really appreciate your help and understand the Anyway i will heed your advice.

Good day

• 10. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                            james_hays

Not to beat a dead horse, but you guys can be real asses. Gees, the guy was struggling, so he asked for help. If it's that painful to answer, don't. Somebody else will, or he'll continue looking somewhere else. What's the point in making them feel like an idiot? Truth is, I find the jBPM documentation lacking as well. You wanna punch me in the nose too?

"cocampo" wrote:

BTW, this is the last question I answer you about JBoss, since this is a VERY basic question; you NEED to read your JBoss manual, or else go to the JBoss newbies forum. Be aware, this forum does NOT exist so you can relax while others do your work; you need to do your own work (read, research, test, etc.).

I think you don't understand the purpose of forums, so, take a look at the next page http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html before asking any other question.

Regards.

• 11. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit

Yeah, you're correct, I should let Java-noobs pollute the forum with nonsense (at least regarding jBPM) questions. However, in this particular case, the guy had NO clue at all regarding jBPM (even after reading -or at least he said so- the manual and the wikis). After a while, someone told him that maybe he should look for another tool, another language or another career.

Let me put it this way: I don't find amusing when people don't read the manual (most times is obvious) or when they come, ask for help and wait for others to do their job while they relax in their desk by seeing a movie, hearing jokes and drinking gallons of coffee and/or coke.

If you want this forum to be useful, you better try to find a solution BEFORE asking for help. Even better, you can stop comments like "I find jBPM documentation lacking as well...". Instead of making this personal (by asking if I want to punch you in the nose) and bitching about a product you're NOT PAYING a penny for it, I'll ask you to contribute: if you find a bug, provide a solution; if you find an error in the manual or "lacking" then edit it and enhance it.

Stop bugging me with comments like this, because is really boring, specially when they come from people that haven't contributed to this (or any other JBoss) forum.

Just my two cents.

• 12. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                                kukeltje

James,

It is a dead horse. I was the first who got 'frustrated' by people who think OS means free, detailed support. Sorry, to not fullfil that. Cocampo has to some extend taken over the task to educate people, cause that is what I think it is, educating them.

If you think the jBPM documentation is lacking that might as well indeed say something about you (without wanting to punch you in the noise, cause if there is one thing we are NOT, it is aggressive). We've had lots of positive feedback, mostly of-forum, from people with the right amount of knowledge to get started with jBPM. on-forum, lots of times people say they have NO knowledge of jBPM and j2ee (even if there is no direct relation) but want basic support. I often hasitated to respond that they should take java 101 or j2ee for dummies classes first, cause that is what is mentioned as a primary requirement, some basic java knowledge. This does not make them an idiot, those are your words, but it makes them unfit to get started with jbpm (hell, even any other bpm solution)

Time to go to bed now (at least for me)

• 13. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                                  kukeltje

hmm I was beaten again (with the quickness of responding) but want to end this discussion again with a remark I made only a few days ago.....:

Remember, we love you ;-)

• 14. Re: how to get jBPM working without the starterkit
                                    james_hays

If anybody else is having issues with this, please take a look at these posts.
                                    http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=93522

Apparently, several other people have had this issue.

James
                                    --
                                    "... there are those that lift people up, and those that tear people down."

1 2 Previous Next