3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2007 10:14 AM by Pete Muir

ExpressionEvaluator

Pete Muir Master

I'm working on http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBSEAM-2152 - in which we need to differentiate between method expressions and value expressions (so that the right exception is thrown) but I can't see a reliable way of doing this from just the expression string. Looking at the ExpressionEvaluator implementation in JBPM I don't see this distinction being made. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: ExpressionEvaluator
          Tom Baeyens Master

i don't think we can currently support this in jPDL 3. it would require big changes, including schema updates that will be forced to all our user base.

i do plan to make that separation in the next version of jPDL 4.

• 2. Re: ExpressionEvaluator
            Tom Baeyens Master

at the time, i thought it was a cool thing that you didn't have to separate between value binding expressions and method binding expressions.

now i still think that is cool, but the compatibility with what people know of unified expressions wins over the coolness argument.

• 3. Re: ExpressionEvaluator
              Pete Muir Master

Yeah, it doesn't actually do any damage to the evaluation of the expressions, just means we can't throw the exceptions that people are used to with Unified EL. I was half way through a set of if-then-else statements to allow us throw a generic exception and log the possible specific exceptions so I will finish that off as a workaround for now.