1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2007 11:47 AM by peterj

removing the default portal

cry4dawn

since we are not using the CMS, any of the layouts, themes, or any of the portlets that ship with jboss portal, is there a way to trim it down or completely remove them? what is the minimum stuff you need to run your own portal without any of teh jboss pages?

• 1. Re: removing the default portal
          peterj

Off the top of my head, two steps:

1) Edit jboss-portal.sar/conf/data/default-object.xml. That files defines most of the default portal. (A search for other *-object.xml files will turn up the other ones).

2) Then you can remove the jboss-portal/sar/[*.war|*.sar] files you no longer need (e.g., portal-cms.sar). (The themes are at jboss-portal.sar/portal-core.war/themes.)

For a more detailed explanation and example, attend my session at the upcoming JBossWorld in Orlando, I will be speaking on this very topic. ;-)

• 2. Re: removing the default portal
            claprun

If you use the source distribution, you can also deploy your portal using:

cd build; ./build.sh deploy

This will only deploy the minimum required to run a portal. I would suggest that you also deploy the administration portlet, to be able to graphically configure your portal:
            cd core-admin; ./build.sh deploy

• 3. Re: removing the default portal
              claprun

"PeterJ" wrote:

For a more detailed explanation and example, attend my session at the upcoming JBossWorld in Orlando, I will be speaking on this very topic. ;-)

:)

• 4. Re: removing the default portal
                vinguye2

If building from source, the reference guide says you can edit the file $PORTAL_HOME/build/local.properties and change portal.web.context-root.

• 5. Re: removing the default portal
                  cry4dawn

1) i would love to go to orlando, but as i make burger king wages for not having any college i cant (stay in school kids)

2) i will give building from source a try, dont get the warm fuzzies from that though. ill let u know how i make out.

• 6. Re: removing the default portal
                    cry4dawn

well building from source did not go so well but....

i removed all the war/sars from jboss-portal-ha.sar except server and core. i then went into core to remove all the layouts, and themes and now have a nice streamlined portal/as server that is clustered, starts in 49 seconds, and can handle 250 simutanious users login in and doing a zip search in 2.7/sec average.

:)

i love how loosely coupled this server is.

• 7. Re: removing the default portal
                      claprun

"cry4dawn" wrote:
                      well building from source did not go so well but....

Could you elaborate on this? Did you encounter an issue? If yes, we'd like to know about it.

"cry4dawn" wrote:
                      i love how loosely coupled this server is.

Good to hear you're happy about it! :)

• 8. Re: removing the default portal
                        cry4dawn

there is no ant on the solaris environments that this is for and since the developers can not install (no root access) we can't build on the environment.

can i build it in windows 32 bit then use it in a solaris 10 64 bit system?

• 9. Re: removing the default portal
                          claprun

"cry4dawn" wrote:

can i build it in windows 32 bit then use it in a solaris 10 64 bit system?

JBoss Portal is a 100% java and doesn't use any native code at all so I don't see why that would be an issue.

• 10. Re: removing the default portal
                            cry4dawn

we have problems in the past going from compiled 32 bit to solaris 64 bit. a good example is anything in the new concurrent packages. they throw no class def found evan though the same jdk version is on bith system.

• 11. Re: removing the default portal
                              claprun

Portal 2.6.2 doesn't use any Java 5 classes so it should be OK on that front, though, obviously, I cannot guarantee that it will work since I haven't tried it myself.

• 12. Re: removing the default portal
                                cry4dawn

it didnt work. i built it in windows and rsync'ed it to the solaris box. it starts up fine, but when i try to even get the default maven jsp nothing happens. its like the server is not even listening to incoming requests. the jmx console doesnt work and there are no errors in the log, even at debug level.

• 13. Re: removing the default portal
                                  peterj

When you started the app server, did you bind to
                                  0.0.0.0?

./run.sh -b 0.0.0.0

• 14. Re: removing the default portal
                                    cry4dawn

i have never done that in any other jboss on solaris before. do you have a link to the documentation?

1 2 Previous Next