1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2006 1:59 PM by Gavin King

Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app

Todd Smart Newbie

Hello,

I've recently worked to get the latest versions of Ajax4jsf, Seam, Hibernate-core, and Hibernate-Annotations running the Seam Hibernate3 Booking sample...persisting to an Oracle 10gR2 DB. Everything is running fine until I try to add some Ajax4jsf functionality in. I've noticed others posting Ajax4jsf w/Seam related questions here...so here's another :-)

Here's an example of what I'm running into: I'm working with the main.xhtml file and have replaced the standard jsf command buttons with the a4j:command buttons -- with a reRender to an a4j:outputPanel.

The system processes command button requests fine, but I always get a full-page redraw (instead of the desired redraw of the targeted a4j:outputPanel). If I add a , it reports that the system is always doing an extra redirect after the post -- potentially leading to the full page redraw?

Here is the updated Seam booking main.xhtml page:

<!DOCTYPE composition PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
      <ui:composition xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
      xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
      xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
      xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
      xmlns:a4j="https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/ajax"
      template="template.xhtml">

<!-- content -->
      <ui:define name="content">

<h:form>
      <h:messages globalOnly="true"/>
      <h1>Search Hotels</h1>

<h:inputText value="#{hotelBooking.searchString}" style="width: 165px;" /> 
      <a4j:commandButton value="Find Hotels" action="#{hotelBooking.find}" styleClass="button" reRender="hotelFrm"/> 
      <a4j:commandButton value="Clear Results" action="#{hotelBooking.clear}" styleClass="button" reRender="hotelFrm"/> 

</h:form>

<a4j:outputPanel id="hotelFrm">

<h:outputText value="No Hotels Found" rendered="#{hotels != null and hotels.rowCount==0}"/>
      <h:dataTable value="#{hotels}" var="hot" rendered="#{hotels.rowCount>0}">
      <h:column>
      <f:facet name="header">Name</f:facet>
      #{hot.name}
      </h:column>
      <f:facet name="header">Address</f:facet>
      #{hot.address}
      <f:facet name="header">City, State</f:facet>
      #{hot.city}, #{hot.state}
      <f:facet name="header">Zip</f:facet>
      #{hot.zip}
      <f:facet name="header">Action</f:facet>
      <h:commandLink action="#{hotelBooking.selectHotel}">View Hotel</h:commandLink>
      </h:dataTable>

<h1>Current Hotel Bookings</h1>

<h:outputText value="No Bookings Found" rendered="#{bookings.rowCount==0}"/>
      <h:dataTable value="#{bookings}" var="book" rendered="#{bookings.rowCount>0}">
      <f:facet name="header">Name</f:facet>
      #{book.hotel.name}
      <f:facet name="header">Address</f:facet>
      #{book.hotel.address}
      <f:facet name="header">City, State</f:facet>
      #{book.hotel.city}, #{book.hotel.state}
      <f:facet name="header">Check in date</f:facet>
      <h:outputText value="#{book.checkinDate}">
      <f:convertDateTime type="date"/>
      </h:outputText>
      <f:facet name="header">Check out date</f:facet>
      <h:outputText value="#{book.checkoutDate}">
      <f:convertDateTime type="date"/>
      </h:outputText>
      <f:facet name="header">Confirmation number</f:facet>
      #{book.id}
      <f:facet name="header">Action</f:facet>
      <h:commandLink action="#{bookingList.cancel}">Cancel</h:commandLink>
      </h:dataTable>

</a4j:outputPanel>
      </ui:define>

<!-- sidebar -->
      <ui:define name="sidebar">

</ui:composition>

-----

Any advice is MUCH appreciated.

Regards,

Todd

• 1. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
          Todd Smart Newbie

Oh...one more thing...this is running under WebLogic 9.1.

• 2. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
            Todd Smart Newbie

The problem was the command button action was associated to a method returning a navigation rule ... from HotelBookingAction.java:

@Begin(join=true)
             public String find()
             {
             hotel = null;
             String searchPattern = searchString==null ? "%" : '%' + searchString.toLowerCase().replace('*', '%') + '%';
             hotels = bookingDatabase.createQuery("from Hotel where lower(name) like :search or lower(city) like :search or lower(zip) like :search or lower(address) like :search")
             .setParameter("search", searchPattern)
             .setMaxResults(50)
             .list();

return "main";
             }

I overloaded that method for use with an action listener:

@Begin(join=true)
             public void find(ActionEvent actionEvent)
             {
             this.find();
             }

And updated the A4J tag ... from main.xhtml:

<a4j:commandButton value="Find Hotels" actionListener="#{hotelBooking.find}" styleClass="button" reRender="hotelFrm"/> 

All is well now ... JSF+Facelets+A4J+Seam+Hibernate (jFASH) ... no "springs" attached :D

--
            THX TO CLEM fom the mailing list for the recommendation:
            https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=1087

Regard,

Todd

• 3. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
              Gavin King Master

All you guys who are getting Seam + Ajax4JSF working together:

I would *love* to get a copy of an example app that shows this combination working. Please submit something to JIRA or email it to me.

• 4. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                Todd Smart Newbie

Hi Gavin...plz check ur email...

• 5. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                  Peter Brewer Novice

Hi Todd,

I'm just starting to look at integrating Seam and ajax4jsf. It would be great if you could email me a working example of the two working together (or better still add a wiki entry). My email address is peter (at) iblocks.co.uk.

Thanks in advance for saving alot of head scratching,

Cheers, Peter.

• 6. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                    Todd Smart Newbie

FYI: I've completed this prototype and have submitted it via JIRA for consideration of inclusion in the Seam examples.

See: http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBSEAM-388

--
                    Regards,

Todd Smart
                    Smart Binary, LLC
                    Partner & Sr. Consultant
                    todd.smart@smartbinary.com
                    c941.538.1814 - f727.214.9121

• 8. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                      Yogesh Novice

Hello Todd,
                      I am trying to get your example working on jboss-4.0.4.GA-jems. I have placed the libs ajax libs in tomcat/jsf-libs folder and could get the home page at the following link http://localhost:8080/seam-hibernate/home.seam.

However, i am not able to register an account as i have the following error at the page register.seam:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Component _id37 must be embedded in an form
                       at org.apache.myfaces.shared_impl.renderkit.html.HtmlButtonRendererBase.buildOnClick(HtmlButtonRendererBase.java:173)
                       at org.apache.myfaces.shared_impl.renderkit.html.HtmlButtonRendererBase.encodeEnd(HtmlButtonRendererBase.java:120)
                       at javax.faces.component.UIComponentBase.encodeEnd(UIComponentBase.java:536)
                       at com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentSupport.encodeRecursive(ComponentSupport.java:242)
                       at com.sun.facelets.tag.jsf.ComponentSupport.encodeRecursive(ComponentSupport.java:239)
                       at com.sun.facelets.FaceletViewHandler.renderView(FaceletViewHandler.java:554)
                       at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ViewHandlerWrapper.renderView(ViewHandlerWrapper.java:101)
                       at org.jboss.seam.jsf.SeamViewHandler.renderView(SeamViewHandler.java:59)
                       at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:384)
                       at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:138)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
                       at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamExceptionFilter.doFilter(SeamExceptionFilter.java:45)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
                       at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamRedirectFilter.doFilter(SeamRedirectFilter.java:30)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
                       at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseXMLFilter.doXmlFilter(BaseXMLFilter.java:67)
                       at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:223)
                       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
                       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:175)
                       at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:74)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
                       at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
                       at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
                       at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
                       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
                       at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
                       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
                       at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
                       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Could you also tell me if the ajax libs are in the correct folder?? I am still not sure if they need to be there as mentioned in the following blog: http://www.michaelyuan.com/blog/2006/09/11/use-ajax4jsf-with-seam-facelets/

Thnx in advance....

Regards,
                      Yogesh
                      M-ITC LTD

• 9. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                        Todd Smart Newbie

Hello Yogesh,

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to run this system under the JBoss AS. I used the provided build script for Tomcat. The system has been tested under Tomcat 5.5 and WebLogic 9.1.

I believe you may indeed want to follow Michael's directions in that blog entry. I will be hard-pressed to try to get the system running under JBoss today, but will work on it as time permits.

Regards,

Todd

• 10. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                          Todd Smart Newbie

Hmmm....trying to work on the sample for deployment to JBoss AS, but can't seem to deploy the Seam Hibernate Example w/o a class not found exception.

I used the JEMS installation for Beta 2 ... have JDK 1.5 starting the app server ... however, I get the following when I try to deploy the example app:

16:56:01,299 INFO [Server] JBoss (MX MicroKernel) [4.0.4.GA (build: CVSTag=JBoss_4_0_4_GA date=200605151000)] Started in 12s:871ms
                          16:56:56,183 INFO [ConnectionFactoryBindingService] Bound ConnectionManager 'jboss.jca:service=DataSourceBinding,name=hibernateDatasource' to JNDI na
                          me 'java:hibernateDatasource'
                          16:56:56,729 INFO [TomcatDeployer] deploy, ctxPath=/seam-hibernate, warUrl=.../tmp/deploy/tmp62564jboss-seam-hibernate-exp.war/
                          16:56:57,056 INFO [ServletContextListener] Welcome to Seam 1.0.1.GA
                          16:56:57,072 INFO [Initialization] reading components.xml
                          16:56:57,134 INFO [Initialization] reading properties from: /seam.properties
                          16:56:57,134 INFO [Initialization] reading properties from: /jndi.properties
                          16:56:57,134 INFO [Initialization] initializing Seam
                          16:56:57,212 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.core.init, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Init
                          16:56:57,384 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.core.pages, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Pages
                          16:56:57,399 INFO [Component] Component: events, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Events
                          16:56:57,415 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.core.manager, scope: EVENT, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Manager
                          16:56:57,446 INFO [Component] Component: switcher, scope: PAGE, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Switcher
                          16:56:57,446 INFO [Component] Component: redirect, scope: CONVERSATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Redirect
                          16:56:57,462 INFO [Component] Component: httpError, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.HttpError
                          16:56:57,462 INFO [Component] Component: userPrincipal, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.UserPrincipal
                          16:56:57,477 INFO [Component] Component: isUserInRole, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.IsUserInRole
                          16:56:57,493 INFO [Component] Component: conversation, scope: CONVERSATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Conversation
                          16:56:57,509 INFO [Component] Component: conversationList, scope: PAGE, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ConversationList
                          16:56:57,509 INFO [Component] Component: conversationStack, scope: PAGE, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ConversationStack
                          16:56:57,524 INFO [Component] Component: facesContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.FacesContext
                          16:56:57,524 INFO [Component] Component: pageContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.PageContext
                          16:56:57,555 INFO [Component] Component: eventContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.EventContext
                          16:56:57,555 INFO [Component] Component: sessionContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.SessionContext
                          16:56:57,571 INFO [Component] Component: statelessContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.StatelessContext
                          16:56:57,571 INFO [Component] Component: applicationContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ApplicationContext
                          16:56:57,571 INFO [Component] Component: conversationContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ConversationContext
                          16:56:57,587 INFO [Component] Component: businessProcessContext, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.BusinessProcessConte
                          xt
                          16:56:57,587 INFO [Component] Component: locale, scope: STATELESS, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Locale
                          16:56:57,602 INFO [Component] Component: messages, scope: SESSION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Messages
                          16:56:57,602 INFO [Component] Component: interpolator, scope: STATELESS, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Interpolator
                          16:56:57,618 INFO [Component] Component: facesMessages, scope: CONVERSATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.FacesMessages
                          16:56:57,634 INFO [Component] Component: resourceBundle, scope: SESSION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ResourceBundle
                          16:56:57,649 INFO [Component] Component: localeSelector, scope: SESSION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.LocaleSelector
                          16:56:57,649 INFO [Component] Component: uiComponent, scope: STATELESS, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.UiComponent
                          16:56:57,665 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.remoting.messaging.subscriptionRegistry, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jbos
                          s.seam.remoting.messaging.SubscriptionRegistry
                          16:56:57,665 INFO [Component] Component: pojoCache, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.PojoCache
                          16:56:57,665 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.debug.introspector, scope: EVENT, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.debug.Introspector
                          16:56:57,712 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.debug.contexts, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.debug.Contexts
                          16:56:57,712 INFO [Component] Component: bookingDatabase, scope: CONVERSATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.ManagedHibernateSession
                          16:56:57,727 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.core.hibernate, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Hibernate
                          16:56:57,727 INFO [Component] Component: org.jboss.seam.core.microcontainer, scope: APPLICATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.core.Microcon
                          tainer
                          16:56:57,743 INFO [Scanner] scanning: /C:/jboss-4.0.4.GA/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp62564jboss-seam-hibernate-exp.war/WEB-INF/lib/jboss-seam-hibern
                          ate.jar
                          16:56:57,758 INFO [Component] Component: bookingList, scope: SESSION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.BookingListAction
                          16:56:57,790 INFO [Component] Component: logout, scope: STATELESS, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.LogoutAction
                          16:56:57,805 INFO [Component] Component: login, scope: STATELESS, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.LoginAction
                          16:56:57,805 INFO [Component] Component: hotelBooking, scope: CONVERSATION, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.HotelBookingActi
                          on
                          16:56:57,821 INFO [Component] Component: changePassword, scope: EVENT, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.ChangePasswordAction
                          16:56:57,836 INFO [Component] Component: user, scope: SESSION, type: ENTITY_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.User
                          16:56:57,852 INFO [Component] Component: register, scope: EVENT, type: JAVA_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.RegisterAction
                          16:56:57,852 INFO [Component] Component: hotel, scope: CONVERSATION, type: ENTITY_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.Hotel
                          16:56:57,868 INFO [Component] Component: booking, scope: CONVERSATION, type: ENTITY_BEAN, class: org.jboss.seam.example.hibernate.Booking
                          16:56:58,414 ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to Described: name=Naming state=Not Installed
                          java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.jnp.server.SingletonNamingServer
                          at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1352)
                          at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1198)
                          at org.jboss.reflect.plugins.introspection.IntrospectionTypeInfoFactoryImpl.getTypeInfo(IntrospectionTypeInfoFactoryImpl.java:216)
                          at org.jboss.reflect.plugins.introspection.IntrospectionTypeInfoFactory.getTypeInfo(IntrospectionTypeInfoFactory.java:47)
                          at org.jboss.classadapter.plugins.reflect.ReflectClassAdapterFactory.getClassAdapter(ReflectClassAdapterFactory.java:61)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.config.AbstractKernelConfig.getBeanInfo(AbstractKernelConfig.java:59)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.config.AbstractKernelConfigurator.getBeanInfo(AbstractKernelConfigurator.java:64)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.config.AbstractKernelConfigurator.getBeanInfo(AbstractKernelConfigurator.java:76)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$DescribeAction.installAction(KernelControllerContextActions.java:227)
                          at org.jboss.kernel.plugins.dependency.KernelControllerContextActions$KernelControllerContextAction.install(KernelControllerContextActions.jav
                          a:147)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractControllerContextActions.install(AbstractControllerContextActions.java:51)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractControllerContext.install(AbstractControllerContext.java:226)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.install(AbstractController.java:593)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.incrementState(AbstractController.java:346)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.resolveContexts(AbstractController.java:438)
                          at org.jboss.dependency.plugins.AbstractController.resolveContexts(AbstractController.java:379)

I haven't used the JBoss App Server in over 5-years, so would hate to just start plugging JARs in :-).

Any advice?

Regards,

Todd

• 11. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                            Todd Smart Newbie

Plz disregard...figured it out.

• 12. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                              Todd Smart Newbie

FYI:

I've updated the system such that it will now build/deploy/run under JBoss v4.0.4.GA. The updates are posted here:

http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBSEAM-388

Regards,

Todd

• 13. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                                Gavin King Master

Great, I need to check it out.

• 14. Re: Problems using Ajax4jsf to Seam Hibernate3 sample app
                                  Yogesh Novice

Hello Todd,
                                  Thnx for helping out with the Ajax Implementation on JBoss. I have managed to get it working with command buttons....I am now trying to implement the example found at http://livedemo.exadel.com/a4j-dropDownBoxes/

My SFSB is as follows:

@Stateful
                                  @Scope(ScopeType.SESSION)
                                  @Name("AjaxBean")
                                  public class AjaxBean implements AjaxBeanLocal{

private static final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(AjaxBean.class);

private String property;

private String property_text;

public String getProperty_text() {
                                   return property_text;
                                  }

public void setProperty_text(String property_text) {
                                   this.property_text = property_text;
                                   }

public String getProperty() {
                                   return property;
                                   }

public void setProperty(String property) {
                                   this.property = property;
                                   }

public void setProperty(){
                                   log.debug("Setting Property to PropertyText");
                                   this.property = this.getProperty_text();
                                   }

@Remove @Destroy
                                   public void destroy(){

}

}

My XHTML page is as follows:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
                                   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                                  <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                                   xmlns:s="http://jboss.com/products/seam/taglib"
                                   xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
                                   xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
                                   xmlns:a4j="https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/ajax"
                                   xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html">

<body>
                                  <f:loadBundle basename="messages" var="msg"/>
                                  <ui:composition template="/WEB-INF/layout/template.xhtml">

<ui:define name="header">
                                   <ui:include src="/WEB-INF/layout/header.xhtml" />

<ui:define name="body">

<f:view>
                                   <a4j:region selfRendered="true">
                                   <a4j:form>
                                   <a4j:status startStyle="font-color:red" stopText="Ready" startText="Request under process"/>

<h:panelGroup style="display:block" id="menuValue" styleClass="px10">
                                   This is a Test #{AjaxBean.property}
                                   </h:panelGroup>

<h:panelGroup id="selectMenu">
                                   <h:selectOneMenu value="#{AjaxBean.property}">
                                   <f:selectItem itemValue="car" itemLabel="Car" />
                                   <f:selectItem itemValue="motorcycle" itemLabel="Motorcycle" />

<a4j:support event="onchange" action="#{AjaxBean.setProperty}"
                                   reRender="menuValue" />
                                   </h:selectOneMenu>
                                   </h:panelGroup>

</a4j:form>
                                   </a4j:region>
                                  </f:view>

<ui:define name="footer">
                                   <ui:include src="/WEB-INF/layout/footer.xhtml" />

</ui:composition>
                                  </body>
                                  </html>

When i change the value in the drop down menu, i whole page is re-rendered and only the following line is displayed:

<span id="ajax-update-ids"

And this is the stack trace in my log file:

2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView RenderChildren() components for AJAX request
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxRendererUtils] Calculate absolute ID for component _id5 as :_id5
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path : ID _id5
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path : ID _id7
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID _id8
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] Render Ajax Area component with ID :_id7:menuValue
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID selectMenu
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID _id10
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID _id13
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID _id11
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 DEBUG [org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer] AjaxView encodeChild component for AJAX request with at path :_id7: ID _id12
                                  2006-10-09 14:44:33,578 ERROR [org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.PhaseListenerManager] Exception in PhaseListener RENDER_RESPONSE(6) beforePhase.
                                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                                   at com.sun.facelets.FaceletViewHandler.writeState(FaceletViewHandler.java:722)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxRendererUtils.writeState(AjaxRendererUtils.java:850)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxRendererUtils.encodeAreas(AjaxRendererUtils.java:740)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxContainerRenderer.encodeAjax(AjaxContainerRenderer.java:128)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.ajax.UIAjaxRegion.encodeAjax(UIAjaxRegion.java:210)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxContext.renderAjaxRegion(AjaxContext.java:256)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxRegionBrige.broadcast(AjaxRegionBrige.java:315)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.ajax.UIAjaxRegion.broadcast(UIAjaxRegion.java:87)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot.processEvents(AjaxViewRoot.java:274)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.AjaxViewRoot.broadcastAjaxEvents(AjaxViewRoot.java:290)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxRenderPhaseListener.processAjaxRender(AjaxRenderPhaseListener.java:150)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.renderer.AjaxRenderPhaseListener.beforePhase(AjaxRenderPhaseListener.java:134)
                                   at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.PhaseListenerManager.informPhaseListenersBefore(PhaseListenerManager.java:70)
                                   at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:373)
                                   at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:138)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
                                   at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamExceptionFilter.doFilter(SeamExceptionFilter.java:45)
                                   at org.jboss.seam.servlet.SeamRedirectFilter.doFilter(SeamRedirectFilter.java:30)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseXMLFilter.doXmlFilter(BaseXMLFilter.java:67)
                                   at org.ajax4jsf.framework.ajax.xmlfilter.BaseFilter.doFilter(BaseFilter.java:223)
                                   at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
                                   at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:175)
                                   at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:74)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
                                   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
                                   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
                                   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
                                   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
                                   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
                                   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Any hint of whats wrong in my code ??

Thnx for your help

Yogesh
                                  M-ITC LTD
                                  http://www.m-itc.net

1 2 Previous Next