1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2007 6:34 AM by tazman

Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method

piotr.walczyszyn

In my scenario I would like to send mails using seam-mail from asynchronous methods. The problem is that context of asynchronous method doesn't contain my objects that I would like to use within the body of my message and also for recipients address. I tried to inject manually using any of the following Contexts methods.

Contexts.getEventContext().set("newUser", user);

Contexts.getConversationContext().set("newUser", user);

Contexts.getSessionContext().set("newUser", user);

Contexts.getPageContext().set("newUser", user);

Contexts.getBusinessProcessContext().set("newUser", user);

Contexts.getMethodContext().set("newUser", user);

Anyone has any idea how to solve this issue?

• 1. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
          gavin.king

Async methods are processed in their own conversation context (this is to ensure that conversations are always single-threaded). Try passing the stuff you need as parameters to the async method.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
            piotr.walczyszyn

I'm already passing my objects as parameters to asynch method and it works great. The problem begins when I want to render mail using Renderer.render method because my objects are not within conversation context of renderer. And in my email template I need to access my user object to get his address, name etc.. That's why I was trying to programatically set these inside of asynch method just before calling renderer, unfotunetly I keep getting NPE.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
              gavin.king

So stick em in the conversation or event context before calling render(). ie. Contexts.getEventContext().set(...).

• 4. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                piotr.walczyszyn

I guess I wasn't clear in my previous posts. This is exactly what I'm doing, I tried to stick it in to all possible contexts that are available throug Contexts class. Everytime I get NPE when running Renderer.render() method and I understand that this is because my objects are not found in those contexts.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                  pmuir

Post the stack trace.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                    gavin.king

No, an NPE inside Seam (rather than your own code) sounds more like a bug in Seam.

But you havn't posted this stack trace, which makes it super-difficult to help you.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                      piotr.walczyszyn

Sorry I was out yestarday and I didn't have access to my dev environment where I have this problem. Unfortunetly the stack trace is super short and maybe it will tell you more then me:

15:02:31,623 ERROR [TimerImpl] Error invoking ejbTimeout: javax.ejb.EJBTransacti
                      onRolledbackException: java.lang.NullPointerException

Running the same mail template but within SFSB works fine.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                        pmuir

It looks to me like ejb3 is swallowing the stack trace (it has an annoying habit of doing this in async stuff). We need the stack of the original exception (wrap your code in a try-catch and use e.printStackTrace()).

• 9. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                          piotr.walczyszyn

I got it:

18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] java.lang.NullPointerException
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.wr
                          apResponseWriter(FaceletsRenderer.java:95)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.re
                          nder(FaceletsRenderer.java:52)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.re
                          nder(FaceletsRenderer.java:38)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.alterapps.community.mail.RegistrationMail
                          HandlerBean.processRegistrationMail(RegistrationMailHandlerBean.java:83)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(
                          Native Method)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(N
                          ativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invo
                          ke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:5
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invo
                          keNext(MethodInvocation.java:112)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.InvocationContextI
                          mpl.proceed(InvocationContextImpl.java:166)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.EJBInvocationContext
                          .proceed(EJBInvocationContext.java:37)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContex
                          t.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:55)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.BijectionIntercep
                          tor.bijectNonreentrantComponent(BijectionInterceptor.java:79)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.BijectionIntercep
                          tor.bijectComponent(BijectionInterceptor.java:58)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor143.invoke
                          (Unknown Source)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invoke(Reflec
                          tions.java:18)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Interceptor.aroundIn
                          voke(Interceptor.java:169)
                          t.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:64)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.OutcomeIntercepto
                          r.interceptOutcome(OutcomeInterceptor.java:21)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor142.invoke
                          (Unknown Source)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.ConversationInter
                          ceptor.endOrBeginLongRunningConversation(ConversationInterceptor.java:52)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor141.invoke
                          (Unknown Source)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.MethodContextInte
                          rceptor.aroundInvoke(MethodContextInterceptor.java:27)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor140.invoke
                          (Unknown Source)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.crea
                          teSeamInvocationContext(RootInterceptor.java:144)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invo
                          keInContexts(RootInterceptor.java:129)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invo
                          ke(RootInterceptor.java:102)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SessionBeanIntercept
                          or.aroundInvoke(SessionBeanInterceptor.java:50)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor139.invoke
                          (Unknown Source)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.InvocationContextI
                          mpl.proceed(InvocationContextImpl.java:118)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.EJB3InterceptorsIn
                          terceptor.invoke(EJB3InterceptorsInterceptor.java:63)
                          keNext(MethodInvocation.java:101)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.entity.TransactionScopedEntity
                          ManagerInterceptor.invoke(TransactionScopedEntityManagerInterceptor.java:54)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.AllowedOperationsInterceptor.i
                          nvoke(AllowedOperationsInterceptor.java:46)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInCallerT
                          x(TxPolicy.java:126)
                          18:04:44,723 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.i
                          nvoke(TxInterceptor.java:195)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aop.joinpoint.MethodInvocation.invo
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor
                          .invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:76)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessInstanceInt
                          erceptor.invoke(StatelessInstanceInterceptor.java:62)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.security.AuthenticationInte
                          rceptor.invoke(AuthenticationInterceptor.java:77)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.security.Ejb3AuthenticationInt
                          erceptor.invoke(Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.java:102)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.ENCPropagationInterceptor.invo
                          ke(ENCPropagationInterceptor.java:47)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.asynchronous.AsynchronousInter
                          ceptor.invoke(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:106)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.l
                          ocalInvoke(StatelessContainer.java:211)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessLocalProxy.
                          invoke(StatelessLocalProxy.java:79)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at $Proxy137.processRegistrationMail(Unknown Sou
                          rce)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.alterapps.community.mail.RegistrationMail
                          Handler$$FastClassByCGLIB$$408b4e98.invoke(<generated>)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodP
                          roxy.java:149)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInvocationContex
                          t.proceed(RootInvocationContext.java:45)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.ClientSideIntercepto
                          r$1.proceed(ClientSideInterceptor.java:74)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContex
                          t.proceed(SeamInvocationContext.java:55)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.interceptors.AsynchronousInter
                          ceptor.invokeAsynchronouslyIfNecessary(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:33)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(
                          Native Method)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(N
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invo
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:5
                          97)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invoke(Reflec
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Interceptor.aroundIn
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.SeamInvocationContex
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.crea
                          teSeamInvocationContext(RootInterceptor.java:144)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invo
                          keInContexts(RootInterceptor.java:129)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.RootInterceptor.invo
                          ke(RootInterceptor.java:102)
                          r.interceptInvocation(ClientSideInterceptor.java:83)
                          r.intercept(ClientSideInterceptor.java:52)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.intercept.Proxy$$EnhancerByCGL
                          IB$$d2c16a97.processRegistrationMail(<generated>)
                          Native Method)
                          97)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invoke(Reflec
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.util.Reflections.invokeAndWrap
                          (Reflections.java:102)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.core.Dispatcher$AsynchronousIn
                          vocation.call(Dispatcher.java:134)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.core.Dispatcher$Asynchronous.e
                          xecute(Dispatcher.java:88)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.seam.core.Dispatcher.dispatch(Dispa
                          tcher.java:165)
                          Native Method)
                          97)
                          keNext(MethodInvocation.java:112)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.InvocationContextI
                          mpl.proceed(InvocationContextImpl.java:166)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.interceptor.EJB3InterceptorsIn
                          terceptor.invoke(EJB3InterceptorsInterceptor.java:63)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.entity.TransactionScopedEntity
                          ManagerInterceptor.invoke(TransactionScopedEntityManagerInterceptor.java:54)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.AllowedOperationsInterceptor.i
                          nvoke(AllowedOperationsInterceptor.java:46)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPolicy.invokeInOurTx(T
                          xPolicy.java:79)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxInterceptor$Required.i
                          nvoke(TxInterceptor.java:191)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.tx.TxPropagationInterceptor
                          .invoke(TxPropagationInterceptor.java:76)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessInstanceInt
                          erceptor.invoke(StatelessInstanceInterceptor.java:62)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.aspects.security.AuthenticationInte
                          rceptor.invoke(AuthenticationInterceptor.java:77)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.security.Ejb3AuthenticationInt
                          erceptor.invoke(Ejb3AuthenticationInterceptor.java:102)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.ENCPropagationInterceptor.invo
                          ke(ENCPropagationInterceptor.java:47)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.asynchronous.AsynchronousInter
                          ceptor.invoke(AsynchronousInterceptor.java:106)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb3.stateless.StatelessContainer.c
                          allTimeout(StatelessContainer.java:150)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at org.jboss.ejb.txtimer.TimerImpl$TimerTaskImpl
                          .run(TimerImpl.java:524)
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:512
                          )
                          18:04:44,733 ERROR [STDERR] at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:462)

• 10. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                            piotr.walczyszyn

I just checked also one thing. I removed from my mail template all referances to my components. Now it is completely static template with hardcoded receipient, subject and body. Unfortunelty I get same error when rendering - I guess this proves that my problem is not about properly scoped components this is something deeper I think.

• 11. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                              gavin.king

Please create an issue in JIRA, this is clearly a bug.

• 12. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method
                                piotr.walczyszyn
                                • 13. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method

I'm getting this same stacktrace (NPE in FaceletsRenderer). I'm trying to use Quartz to send an email at a scheduled time. The method kicks-off when it should, but the rendering fails:

java.lang.NullPointerException
                                   at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.wrapResponseWriter(FaceletsRenderer.java:95)
                                   at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.render(FaceletsRenderer.java:52)
                                   at org.jboss.seam.ui.facelet.FaceletsRenderer.render(FaceletsRenderer.java:38)
                                   at com.akimeka.lunchvote.EmailerImpl.sendEmail(EmailerImpl.java:38)
                                   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                                   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
                                   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

Line 38 of EmailerImpl is "renderer.render(templateFileName)".

Any idea when JBSEAM-892 will be resolved? Or does anyone know of any other library that takes care of sending emails that will work in its own thread?

• 14. Re: Is it possible to send mail from asynchronous method

By the way, I'm using Tomcat with Embedded EJB and Seam 1.1.6.

My apologies if asking when a Jira ticket will be resolved is Taboo. I'm really impressed with Seam and the responsiveness of the developers on this forum...please don't hate me. :-)

1 2 Previous Next