4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 3:18 AM by aeik

    german umlauts get lost

    Newbie

      Hello,

       

      when using the register form of the identity portlet german umlauts get lost.

       

      On the register-page i fill out all required fields and submit the form.

      On the confirmation-page the umlauts are lost.

       

      if not all required fileds are filled and the form ist shown again to complete the data, umlauts are lost too.

       

      FireFox shows that page-encoding is UTF-8. When I set the encoding to ISO-8859-1/15 and submit the form the umlauts are displayed correct.

       

      I've set all my datasources and connectors to UTF-8, added the content-type meta-tag to all pages and tried almost very think i found on google. But all this does not help.

       


      Any idea what's wrong with my configuration. do you need further information?

       

      I think, it's not a problem with the database, because there should be no database-interaction at that point.

       

       

      -----------------

      JBoss Portal 2.7.2 bundle

      Mysql 5

      on debian

        • 1. Re: german umlauts get lost
          Dago Kent Newbie

          It works for me on 2.6.2GA and 2.7.1 (Redhat Linux).

           

          You can try to set jvm encoding to UTF-8 (-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8).

          • 2. Re: german umlauts get lost
            Martin Weiler Apprentice

            Andre,

             

            here are some things to check:

             

            1. Check if the RequestDumperValve is enabled in deploy/jboss-web.deployer/server.xml.
            2. Check for any other valves or filters which try to read out the request parameters, either by calling request.getParameterValues() or request.getParameter(name). If there is such a valve or filter, remove it.
            3. Have a look at https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWEB-110 and inspect the conf/jboss-log4.xml config file if DEBUG level logging is enabled for "org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet".

             

            -Martin

            • 3. Re: german umlauts get lost
              Newbie

              Hello,

               

              check those 3 things but it does not solve my problem.

               

              I tried some things, read a lot source code.

               

              I removed all UTF-8 settings like URIencoding=UTF-8, JAVA_OPTS -dFile-Encoding=UTF-8 from the configuration files. It makes no difference.

               

              I've set a filter with request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8"). it's the first filter which is executed, but my umlauts are already garbled there. so this garbling must happen before the filters are executed.

               

              I wrote a small Servlet with a small form and an input field. When i set request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") everything works fine. if it's not set my umlauts are grabled too.

               

              So setting request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") ist required, but where do i have to set it.

               

              This behaviour is reproducabel on a standalone tomcat server and a JBoss 5 Server.

               

              Best regards

               

              Andre

              • 4. Re: german umlauts get lost
                Newbie

                Hello,

                 

                i found a solution for my problem!

                 

                 

                see this:

                 

                http://rolfje.wordpress.com/2008/07/20/tomcat-utf-8-and-the-requestdumpervalve/

                 

                 

                after commenting out the RequestDumperValve, my umlauts are OK.

                 

                 

                Best regards

                 

                Andre