I've been doing a lot of studying and playing around with Camel lately ( http://camel.apache.org/ ), and I think if we could integrate it well with JBoss ESB, we could win a lot of great functionality all at once. Camel does not claim to be an ESB, but a routing and mediation engine. I think it would be great if we could leverage it, especially given all the cool connectors it has out-of-the-box ( http://camel.apache.org/components.html ).
FYI: Edgar S. and Tom F. have already done some playing around with Camel integration:
What I am requesting in this developer forum thread is for people to brainstorm how they would like to see it integrated as a 1st class JBoss ESB citizen, any thoughts or concerns, etc. I will go ahead and list some possibilities here:
- Extend the jboss-esb.xml config format to allow for Camel XML DSL to be defined. This is currently a bit yucky as we actually duplicate a considerable amount of java code whenever we add a new version of jboss-esb.xml config.
- Augment the ESB deployer mechansim to pickup and hot-deploy Camel XML DSL by some sort of naming convention in the .esb archive structure.
- Similar to #1 and/or #2 above, but allow for Java DSL. Personally I like the Java DSL much better than the XML (Spring) DSL. I am not suggesting putting it in the jboss-esb.xml itself, but maybe define a class in the XML which extends Camel's RouteBuilder. That way we can have compile-time safety.
- Don't add anything to jboss-esb.xml but instead do .esb archive class scanning for any class which extends Camel's RouteBuilder, and deploy it.
- Create our own Camel component representing invoking a JBossESB-deployed service via service category + service name. It would be represented by our own custom URI but use our ServiceInvoker under-the-hood.
- What else?
- Message Translation
- We would need to be able to translate between Camel's concept of Messages (and Exchanges) to/from our concept of Messages, possibly as part of the consumer/producer work.
- We might need to come up with our own Camel DataFormat for body transformation.
- We could technically create a new Action and/or Listener that builds the Camel routes, but I feel we could do a tighter (more "elegant") and feature-rich integration than this.
What else? I know I'm missing a lot here (it's late and I'm tired), but I wanted to get this discussion kicked off. I would really like to hear your sugestions!
Thanks in advance for your help,